Filing Teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

drazda

Filing Teeth

#1 Post by drazda »

How many of you guys have had your teeth filed? I heard someone say that having teeth filed can lead to sensitivity, is this true? I really want my teeth filed after I'm done with these braces, and I'm curious about others who have done it.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

NuckingFuts

#2 Post by NuckingFuts »

I was wondering about this too, I defnitely want my teeth filed when I'm done.

Geri

#3 Post by Geri »

Me too - because the top of some of my teeth are a bit jagged. Anyone out there had this done? I am concerned about damaging my enamal [sp?] and ending up with 'denture' looking teeth. :shock:
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

blondie111

#4 Post by blondie111 »

I just had my front two teeth filed when I got my braces put on. They were very "triangle" shaped, narrow at the top and wide at the bottom. They stuck out from the rest of my teeth, and my ortho said that when they were all aligned, there would be gaps in between my teeth at the top only because the bottoms were so big. So he filed the sides so they now look awesome!!

I have had no sensitivity issues with them. Granted, they are on the front teeth, and I don't use them to bite into many things, but no problems with cold or hot drinks either. They look natural, as he rounded the edges so there is no straight "cut" look. He used a tool that looked like a dremel tool (hope it wasn't! :shock: ). If I can figure out how to get pics posted, I could show you the difference.

Hope that helps a litte!

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

KathleenH

#5 Post by KathleenH »

I had one tooth filed. It had never been in line with my other teeth, so never wore down. Now it fits in with my other teeth, which do not look like dentures (granted, only one tooth was filed). I have had no problems with sensitivity, nor was the enamel damaged.

If you'd be happier with the look of filed teeth, do it.
Kathleen

Surgery survivor

genxsis

#6 Post by genxsis »

Is having teeth filed the same thing as tooth shaping? My ortho said something about doing that with me next time I see him, but I thought I've heard that it means taking enamel off the tooth. That's something that I'm not too thrilled about. That's like damaging the tooth just to make it look better. I have enough damage already!
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

rsprouse

#7 Post by rsprouse »

genxsis wrote:Is having teeth filed the same thing as tooth shaping? My ortho said something about doing that with me next time I see him, but I thought I've heard that it means taking enamel off the tooth. That's something that I'm not too thrilled about. That's like damaging the tooth just to make it look better. I have enough damage already!
I will try and tie everything together from the thread. It sounds like there are two parties in this thread. The first is Inter-proximal Reduction (IPR). In this, a file or disc is used to remove the inter-proximal surface of the tooth (side that touches another tooth, where you floss). You should remove tooth structure uniformly for aesthetic purposes. This is typically used to create space to allow teeth to move (if less space is needed than for an extraction) or often times to help with the "black triangles" that some people have in between teeth. The black triangles are from lack of papilla. What the clinician is doing is shaping the contact point of the tooth lowering it closer to the gumline to allow for the tissue to heal into the space. Tissue can only grow reliably to a level of about 5 mm above the bone. This is why people with periodontal disease often have flat (rather than scalloped) tissue around their teeth.

Another reason to file is to cosmetically shape the teeth. This is typically done on anterior teeth on the incisal edge. The tooth is shaped to a more natural and aesthetic result. This is typically in a non-orthodontic instance and is to improve or change the look of the teeth.

You only have a finite layer of enamel on each tooth. Over time with use and abuse the enamel can wear away. Below enamel is dentin which is much thicker than enamel but is not as hard and is more porous than enamel. If you expose dentin you will most likely feel sensitivity to heat or cold and is a natural response of the nerve to stimulus. That being said, it is typically acceptable to remove 0.5 mm of enamel from a surface of a tooth to preserve a layer that will help protect the tooth. There are drawbacks and risks associated with removing enamel, but they are typically very minor and it is a common treatment option.

Hope that helps.

Best,
Rory

Geri

#8 Post by Geri »

Thanks everyone, that has really put my mind at rest about IPR/shaping teeth. You are all a terrific support!

If I can get the shaping done with minimal (acceptable) damage to my enamel then that's terrific because it really would improve things cosmetically. My deep bite seems to have under-worn some teeth and over-worn others - hopefully these elastics I'm wearing will stop that from happening in the future.
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!