I don't like ASSistants!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

I don't like ASSistants!

#1 Post by genxsis »

While getting my cavity filled at the dentist yesterday, he had to take off part of the archwire in order to get to it. He was also examining how my teeth were moving. I made mention of the fact that I'm only able to chew with my back teeth because they're the only ones that come together now, and how my front teeth are so sensitive to pressure that I can't bite into anything, and that my teeth are still biting my cheek because of the molar bands. The assistant said, "Boy, you sure have alot of problems! Even little kids that come in here with braces don't have that many problems!"

She puts the "ass" in assistant!

I just had to get that off my chest.

I could also mention that I now have a cut on my lip after the dentist poked it with the wire. Jeez! :evil:
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

Henna_the_braceface

#2 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

join the club.... i go to a dental hospital and have students working on me who don't even know what their doing most of the time...

payoki

#3 Post by payoki »

wow! I hope the ortho reprimanded her for the comments she made so that she won't make the same mistake twice!
how rude!
mother of one.

momof2grlz

#4 Post by momof2grlz »

Maybe the dingaling needs to be reminded that ortho treatment for an adult is much more difficult than a child! If you didn't put her in her place, you're a better person than I am.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

Geri

#5 Post by Geri »

Well, that's just insensitive! I don't think I would have liked that one bit either.
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

purple

#6 Post by purple »

There are words for people like that! And I think you nailed it on the head!

The ortho and Assistant told me that adults feel the pain much more than children and that in general have a rougher time with it.

she'll pick the wrong person to pick on one day....

Good luck!

Evelyn

Re: I don't like ASSistants!

#7 Post by Evelyn »

genxsis wrote: She puts the "ass" in assistant!
hehehe AMEN! Luckily mine have been pretty good, but you nailed it with that description-I can't believe she said that to you!

Hopefully things will go better next time and you'll get a more 'socially mature' for lack of a better term, assistant

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

jcdamon3

#8 Post by jcdamon3 »

The ortho and Assistant told me that adults feel the pain much more than children and that in general have a rougher time with it.
I think we are also much more likely to talk about it than a kid is.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

JoeMama

#9 Post by JoeMama »

adults feel the pain much more than children and that in general have a rougher time with it.
!
Or maybe because most adults have suffered at the hands of a bad dentist (or ortho) at some point in their lives and have become more sensitive because of the insensitive treatment? All it takes is one bad apple... That would be my story in a nutshell.

But you're right about the ass part. How rude! :shock:
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

Flora2006

#10 Post by Flora2006 »

I agree with the others...it's a bit incensitive...but I'm sure she didn't mean this in a rude way....maybe she was joking? I still don't think such things should be said though.

I've had wonderful experiences with everyone within the dental field since I got my new dentist so it's hard for me to imagine an assistant actually saying such a thing and really meaning it :roll:

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#11 Post by nahky »

Definately an idiotic thing to say.

Surely someone who works at an orthodontic office knows adult orthodontia is a bit more tender than it is for a child. What a dimwitted and insensitive comment to make

i woulda said

"Excuuuuuuuuuse me??? Im so sorry for feeling pain" in a very sarcastic way
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

genxsis

#12 Post by genxsis »

Thank you everyone for backing me up on this! I'm not sure exactly what she meant by her comment to me. But I think one of the reasons children don't say as much is possibly because their parents tell them that they have to go through with this whole braces thing whether they like it or not and they're not as comfortable telling anyone except their parents about their difficulties. And then maybe the parents tell them that those difficulties are normal and that they just have have to put up with them. Those kind of things were my case when I was younger.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"