Help! My archwire keeps popping out of it's bracket!!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ashahid

Help! My archwire keeps popping out of it's bracket!!!!

#1 Post by ashahid »

I've been braced for a full week now, and while the pain from the braces and the sore cheeks have subsided-my archwire is driving me crazy!

I have metal brackets upper and lower, (have no idea what kind) with ligatures on every teeth with the exception of the last tooth on each side.The last tooth has some sort of tunnel in which the archwire slides through. It is not locked place, it just slides.

My archwire has been constantly popping out and digging me in the cheek almost every day.

I initally went back to the ortho, and they fixed them for me. They explained that I had a "baby" flexible archwire that would later be replaced with a thicker, less-flexible kind. She showed me how to pop it back in, so that was nice of her.

BUT because I had two of my molars previoulsy extraceted, I can only bite on the very back molars, and the wire which hangs over the extraction sites. I think the pressure of my semi-soft foods is popping it out- very, very annoying!

:?

Anyone else have this problem- I'm playing with this darn wire so much that today it bent almost in half! Advice?

MariaMetalMouth

#2 Post by MariaMetalMouth »

I have exactly the same problem! So annoying! :evil:
I can only bite with the same teeth as i've had extractions in the same place. Can't wait to get a less flexible wire so it stops popping out!! :roll:
Maybe next week at my first adjustment! :)
Braced: 29th March 2006
Estimated time 18 months!

ashahid

Thanks!

#3 Post by ashahid »

:) Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone!

I have a pretty bad overbite, so I suspect I might be in the flexible archwires for awhile. Thanks for the advice about possibly poulling the archwire back and bending it- I'm going to ask at my two week post brace check-up!

Well, one thing is for sure..I'm bound to lose weight! :wink:

Megera_S

#4 Post by Megera_S »

I have the same kinds of end brackets (different other brackets though) and my ortho puts what he calls "stops" on the end of each wire (the wire goes through the tube on the bracket). It's basically a little metal thing he crimps on the end and that stops the wire from sliding out the end.

I didn't get them on my last adjustment because my wire was stiff enough but by yesterday (the day of my next appointment) the wire had migrated left to right and had slipped out.

I got a couple brackets repositioned yesterday (ouch!) and so the stops went on again (weaker wire than last time) but a stop has already fallen off so I'm just about to head over to the ortho to get it put back on :)
Four Wisdom Teeth Extracted: January 2000
Lower First Bicuspids Extracted: Nov. 1st, 2005
Braces on: Nov. 24th, 2005
Duration: 24 months

ashahid

I've got a plan

#5 Post by ashahid »

Ok- so I need to talk about bending the archwire or putting on stops. (Or living with the wire that constantly pops out.)

It's a good plan. Thanks for all the tips. Now I just need to learn how to eat without looking like a dog trying to chew something tough on my back teeth. :lol:

cdwright

#6 Post by cdwright »

you may need a longer wire, one that will not pop out. asking them to put a lig on that might help as well.
Oh sure, I see Bart gets to have a gun. - Homer Simpson.

jaxxie118

#7 Post by jaxxie118 »

Ouch!! I don't know what that's like but I hope it gets sorted out so it'll stop poking you. :wink:
Metal uppers & lowers + 1 tooth pulled
Estimated treatment time: 18 months