Got braced today, have a few questions/comments

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jillianleab

Got braced today, have a few questions/comments

#1 Post by Jillianleab »

Hi everyone:

I got my full braces today, metal upper and lowers. I'm 25 years old and my ortho thinks I will be done in 18-22 months, which is great. I have crowding and an overbite.

Anyway, I've been reading through the posts and I have the same problem many have had with my teeth hitting the brackets. For me, it's my top incisors hitting the bracket below. I hope movement happens soon, I don't want to go back sooner than I have to (had a bracket pop off 5 mins after leaving today and had to go back)! My bottom teeth are already loose, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed....

I seem to be having a problem no one else has mentioned tho (I don't know technical terms, forgive me), The adjustment part (screw? whatever) of my upper bands feels like it is jutting WAY out in my mouth. Everytime I chew or swallow, pretty much do anything with my tongue, it scrapes againts the metal and really hurts. Anyone else have this happen? I can't think of what my ortho could do to fix it. Would wax help?
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

KittyW

#2 Post by KittyW »

Do you mean the side hook on the band? It is stationery and can't be moved. Your cheeks will adjust to it eventually. In the meantime, wax, wax, wax!

As far as biting off lower brackets...not much you can do about that either. I knocked off several during my treatment and eventually that situation will improve as well. The first month is definitely the most difficult. Just know that it DOES get better and your mouth will become more comfortable soon!

Congrats on your new future smile!!! :D
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

LynnHowell

#3 Post by LynnHowell »

I've had the same problem about 3x during my treatment. It always got better after the 3rd or 4th day. OTC pain reliever (Advil, Tylenol) will help in the meantime.

As for the band sticking out on the inside (correct?), let your ortho know because it may just be the cement and they can grind it down and make it smooth! Really.

Hope it's better soon!
Upper Ceramic: 8/13/04
Lower Metal: 01/13/05
Removed: 4/19/07 (finally!)

Retainers:
Upper Clear Hawley
Lower fixed & Essix
Lower fixed removed 7/06/07 (due to a small space). Lower Fuschia Hawley 7/18/07
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.lynnhowell.com

Skinny

#4 Post by Skinny »

Oh I feel for ya, My Top teeth hit on my bottom bracets too and it has made eatting allot of things very hard. I have lost 10 lbs so far and have only had my braces for a bit over a week now. I too hope this gets fixed soon so I can eat again. I keep biting down on this bracket and man does that hurt, it hasnt broke yet though.
Im 30 Female
TMD, Crowding, Overbite
Clear on top Medal on bottom
Beauitful smile wishes to Everyone!
Skinny

Joanna20

#5 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey I got braced this friday and 2 brackets popped out already, one yesterday night and one this morning.
Anyways I think I have the same thing u mentioned, it scratches my tongue to and it hurts. I hope it gets better soon for u too!

Take care,
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Jillianleab

#6 Post by Jillianleab »

I've been putting wax on the areas that bother me, if I'm not used to it soon I'll call my ortho. My first adjustment isn't for 10 weeks, so I don't know if I can wait that long. Grinding the things down sounds like a great idea!

As fas as my teeth hitting the brackets, yes, I have a very deep bite. Mostly it means I can't clench my teeth - I haven't tried eating much to see if it affects that. I'd imagine probably pieces of steak or chicken will be hard. I'll wait for some movement and hopefully that will help.

On the bright side - I got my braces yesterday and today was able to eat chili cheese fries at Hard Times Cafe today!!! It hurt a little but I'm a total fry junkie and can't resist those things! Hurt so good......... :)
~jlb~

Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

Jillianleab

#7 Post by Jillianleab »

UPDATE!!!

I called my ortho first thing this AM and told them about the cleats digging into my tongue. They saw me right away, pused the little buggers back, and now I can eat! Well, sort of.... still hurts to chew crunchy things, but my tongue will no longer be ripped to shreds! Yay! A small victory!
~jlb~

Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

CLAmom

#8 Post by CLAmom »

I'm glad you got the cleats taken care of. I had one of these partially ground down at the start of my treatment & it helped a lot. Most of the time I don't even notice the others except when my tongue is sore (from accidently biting it!). Good luck with your braces journey. :wink:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

Jillianleab

#9 Post by Jillianleab »

Thanks everyone for your support, encouragement and help. I have another question... at what point am I going to get used to the FLIPPIN' things???????? I know it's only been a few days for me, but I swear, they are all I think about, and I notice them constantly. They aren't irritating my mouth anymore, and I'm almost back to regular food, but I'm always aware of them. I'm more self-conscious now than before (Partly because I look 14 now)! Please tell me I'll eventually (soon) forget about them!
~jlb~

Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

Skinny

#10 Post by Skinny »

Well I have in no way forgotten about mine I have had mine on for almost two weeks now, I do get to where I forget about them for about an hr or so then remeber! So I think Im almost getting used to them?
Before I eat I still want to take them out hehe then I remeber oh yea1 Them buggers dont come off.
My top frount teeth are still hitting my lower brackets so I cant clinch or chew. I lost 10 pounds my 1st week but have gained two pounds back!
Heres to getting used to then oh and chewing again!
Im 30 Female
TMD, Crowding, Overbite
Clear on top Medal on bottom
Beauitful smile wishes to Everyone!
Skinny

Jillianleab

#11 Post by Jillianleab »

Skinny, I know what you mean about wanting to take them out! I never feel like I'm totally ready for bed with them in, very bizzare. Sounds like I will eventually get used to them, if you are at 2 weeks and can forget they exist sometimes that's got to be a good sign!
~jlb~

Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

lionfish

#12 Post by lionfish »

Hang in there, jillianleab. The braces will soon become part of your normal daily life.