did they ever tell you your tooth had to rotate? :'c

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

alwayshungry

did they ever tell you your tooth had to rotate? :'c

#1 Post by alwayshungry »

'course i put on a brave face in front of my ortho and just said "well, it has to be done, right?" but dear lord! a bracket on the inside of my upper right first bicuspid (3rd from your front tooth), an elastic stretched and hooked to the cleat on my molar :D

he said my tooth was oriented wrong so it has to turn. oh and yeah, it's gonna bug me for a while he says. ya think? :roll:

man.

p.s. on the brighter side of things, i *do* notice my lower teeth becoming straighter...pretty impressive since it's only been a coupla months :)

susieq182

#2 Post by susieq182 »

several of my teeth need rotated. my ortho used power chains to turn them so far they are looking good. mostly mu upper canines really had to turn you can see pics on my blog. It is amazing how fast they move.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

alwayshungry

#3 Post by alwayshungry »

erm...exactly how fast is fast? the elastic kinda cuts my tongue :(

susieq182

#4 Post by susieq182 »

sorry to hear that its cutting you major bummer. I dont know for sure how long yours will take My ortho has used power chains to turn my canine which may pull alot harder then the elastic you have. it has taken about 5 months to rotate about 80 degrees. If it is causing you alot of discomfort ask your ortho sometimes they try things to see how it does and unless you tell them hey that hurts they dont know.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

alwayshungry

#5 Post by alwayshungry »

i probably just have to get used to it, after all, it's only been 3 days :D

yeah, i think i'll ask my ortho about the length of time that this thing's gonna be on, and i'll ask him to be specific this time :) last time's answer was "until the tooth rotates to a better position." :roll:

lionfish

#6 Post by lionfish »

Hi alwayshungry,

One of my premolars needs to rotate and I had a similar procedure to yours done last week. I've got a powerchain stretching from the offending tooth to the second molar behind it. I guess the powerchain will be in place at least until my next adjustment in 5 weeks time and/or until the tooth is positioned correctly.

I couldn't chew on that side for the first few days and the elastic did cut into my cheek a bit, but I'm used to it now. The tooth also seems to have shifted a bit in the last 8 days, because I can floss much easier in there.

ingyandbert

#7 Post by ingyandbert »

I had a premolar that needed to rotate. The ortho put the bracket on what should have been the front of the tooth and used a loop in the wire to pull it into proper position. I had no pain whatsoever.

Flora2006

#8 Post by Flora2006 »

I don't have any tooth to be rotated or anything like that, so I can't really describe how it feels for me...I can just imagine that it must feel uncomfortable.

Hopefully it will soon be a thing of the past!

I know what you mean when the ortho says things like that...my ortho was this way earlier...until I asked him to be more specific...lol

Good news that your lower teeth are getting straighter :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Dadio

#9 Post by Dadio »

Alwayshungry, I've been there and done that. I wish you the best with this. I had an upper lingual bracket & powerchain to rotate a tooth. Here is where I first posted it after my 2nd adjust. I never knew before then that teeth had front, back, and so on.

viewtopic.php?t=7767

You will get used to it, and if you can liberally wax the powerchain, it helps your tongue. Warm water, salt and/or baking soda rinse will help as well. The ortho did something different every adjust to that tooth on the bracket side (powerchain or wire tie). The last month of rotation, they even removed the archwire side bracket. However, you will be a happy, happy camper the day that comes off. I think mine came off at the 6th adjustment. It really made up for getting coil springs and elastics.

Dadio