Spacers Put On Today - Braces 5/31/06

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Rdavido

Spacers Put On Today - Braces 5/31/06

#1 Post by Rdavido »

Background
I'm 17 and going to be getting braces in about a week, I have misalignment on my two upper incisors, and a crossbit on my right canine. Otherwise, my teeth aren't too bad. I'll post pictures

Treatment
My ortho is putting me into Damon 3's next Wednesday, could anyone provide me with any information as far as comfort, and average treatment time? Ortho says treatment time between 18 - 20 months..not too bad!

I had my spacers (clear, rubber) put on this morning, it took about 5 minutes and I was done. For me the hardest part is telling people, especially my girlfriend, that I will be getting braces in a week...Although most of my friends had braces during their earlier teens.

Could anyone provide me with any valuable information? Thanks!
Last edited by Rdavido on Mon May 22, 2006 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michelle85

#2 Post by michelle85 »

Spacers suck :). They were definitly the worst part for me.

My best piece of advice is to not worry about what other people are thinking so much :)! If you act like they don't bother you nobody will say anything. I pretend like I don't even have braces and no one has made a single comment.

I'm 21 and I'm going to be in these suckers until I'm 23. I'm not going to *not* smile because of them. I'm proud of them. It means my teeth are going to be beautiful!

Joanna20

#3 Post by Joanna20 »

Spacers didn't hurt me at all, and didn't really cause disconfort, but I do have a great amount of space in my lower arch so I guess that's why. I'm having spacers put on my tops in a weeks time (30) and I'm getting upper braces on the 31st as well.
I hope everything goes well 4 u!
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Dark_angel

#4 Post by Dark_angel »

Hi ive just turned 18 and ive been in braces a while. Where abouts are you from? I know there are differences between UK and US treatment, not with times and appliances but the approach that orthos take.

My boyfriend was in braces when i met him and it didnt bother me at all and when he had his off i had mine on not after. As far as im aware it dosent bother him except being dragged to my appointments and then being forced to do some shopping after.

I like getting my braces bright colours and stuff. As for the spacers i wanted to take mine out but my boyfriend stopped me :evil:

Rdavido

#5 Post by Rdavido »

I live in the US (Mississippi). Ya, I doubt my GF will be affected much, but it will be a nuisance with kissing...

Dark_angel

#6 Post by Dark_angel »

Kissing is akward for a few days at most, but it hasnt stopped me. Dont worry about it and try to get her involved in your treatment, she'll give you the support and appreciate you not hiding it. :wink:

Good luck, although it will be fine.