6 Teeth extracted 24hrs ago,all the stitches any tips ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gennel

6 Teeth extracted 24hrs ago,all the stitches any tips ?

#1 Post by Gennel »

Well I posted a few weeks ago regarding the fact that it's been years that I have seen a dentist. I had such a phobia and it was terrible,terrible ,terrible! I finally got the courage to visit an ortho and I found out that I needed 4 bicuspids extracted (2 from top) & (2 from bottom) PLUS one molar on each side on the bottom ....they were so decayed and had to go . I elected general anesthesia because it was going to take 2-3 hrs if they used local. I went in yesterday at 9 am they ran an iv and injected the anesthesia directly to the IV line. I felt woozy as the ortho spoke to me about the The Davinci Code movie. I was knocked out soon.I don't remember them pulling out my big molars on the bottom . When he started to extract the upper bicuspid I felt a tight cracking sound back and forth.In my mind I remember I either put my hand up or said "OW!!" I heard someone say " Ok,honey hold on" They put the "plier" tool down and I felt him inject my upper gum area" That bicuspid cracked and I heard it clearly in my head... I could even hear myself snoring once in a while and would sort of wake me up a little.
It was no serious pain at all but I did hear and feel movement.
When they woke me up it was about 50 min later . The oral surgeon came in to talk . I asked him if my upper bicuspid cracked? He looked at me like " how did you know?" I told him that I felt the twisting and heard a crack sound. He told me that my upper bicuspid roots were so long that it cracked and he had to dig way up to my jaw bone to pull out the last piece of root. I went home with a mouthful of gauze. He prescribed Oxycodone for the pain. I took it right away.I was suppose to wake up at 1 am to take another one but I slept until 4 am and woke up shaking and tremebling so bad that my teeth were chattering. When I finally took a peek at my lower teeth I saw that he stitched all 4 extraction holes. He had to cut my gumline pretty long and my stitches go up to my front lower canines.OUCH!! I've survived for now on 4oz yogurt and tapioca.
Now that you've read all the painful details. You know what I said to my husband? I told him that all my fears were 10 times worse than the pain I was feeling now. Folks fear is a terrible thing. He asked me if I regret doing this. I said NO not one bit. My oral surgeon was very prepared in case I felt any pain during surgery and had a table set aside with several injection filled with anesthesia. They were super nice to me and I will be sending him a Thank You card real soon.
Thank you everyone here for understanding . Who else could understand exactly what I'm feeling? There are people here that have gone through so much worse so I do know how important this is.

Thanks,
Gennel

susieq182

#2 Post by susieq182 »

WAY TO GO!!! sorry to hear you had to have so many teeth out, but good for you taking care of you. THe stitches are so yucky. Try hard not to pick at them because that only makes them hurt more. and as Karen said lots of salt water rinses they really do help. and keep on the pain meds even if you have to set your alarm clock to wake up for them. Its hard for your body to heal when its in pain and drink lots of fluids because the pain meds will dehydrate you. GOOD LUCK feel better soon!
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

Bluemoonjo

#3 Post by Bluemoonjo »

Hope you have a fast healing time.

My problem with stitchs is them rubbing against my tongue once in awhile. Would feel like a hair was in my mouth ewww and I'd stick my tongue on the hole/stitches....

Potato soup can be your friend lol Mix different things in each time, healthy and easy to eat. I like it all the time anyway.
Mix in cheese, sour cream, bacon crumbled, canned/shredded chicken, ect ect.

Good Luck!
Mama Jo

Gennel

#4 Post by Gennel »

I was doing saltwater rinsing but I'm going to do them at least 5 times a day. My bottom area with stitches still in a lot of pain. It's weird that right in the gum/stitched area there is still numbness...
I'm going to go and do the saltwater rinse right now. I want to heal that part of my mouth so badly. My top extractions don't have any pain at all.It's just the area on the bottom that the surgeon had to cut open to get a good grip on the premolar and molars that were decayed. If I see any sign of infection like pus or more bleeding I am going to call to see if they can give me antibiotics.
Well I better go now. I took an oxycodone pill like 45 min ago and I'm feeling it now....

Gennel

Gennel

#5 Post by Gennel »

Well this afternoon I ended up going back to the surgeon because I was feeling beyond terrible. My husband kept telling me that I was very pale and looked more swollen . He called the OS office and they told him to bring me in.I went in with a bunch of questions. My lower jaw is swollen on my right side and even with the pain meds it hurts a lot. The surgeon then explained to my husband and I that my bottom premolars were really ,really difficult to extract. Specifically my bottom right one. He said it cracked and the tip of the root was very deep in the jawbone so he had no choice but to take a piece of the bone out as well. It wasn't like a big piece but it would have been even worse if he would have kept on digging.
I also asked him and the assistant if I was snoring at some point during the extractions and she smiled at me and said yes. I told her that I was hearing myself snore and would stop when I realized and then snore again. Thank God that they noticed immediately that I was waking up and they had the injections ready to numb me 100%. I can't wait until next week when this swelling goes down.He prescribed Vicodin 725mg .
He told me that everything I was feeling is totally normal considering all they did in one day. I still would not change a thing. I would prefer to get this all done in one day instead of 2-3 appt. With all the huge gaps that 6 extractions left, I won't be surprised one bit that My teeth move really fast when I get the braces on. My teeth feel loose now. It's just so strange to be in so much pain in your mouth and yet from my neck down I feel great! I hope that no one thinks that the same thing could happen to them. The surgeon said that this does not always happen. My upper extractions have no pain at all like 0%! He told me that is how extractions suppose to be like. I just happened to have extremely long roots on the bottom.

Well I will deffinately wait like 3 weeks to recover before getting the brackets on.

Thanks everyone here. You guys have no idea how much this site has helped me move forward with this.

Gennel