Plate on the roof of my mouth :-(

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sarah22

Plate on the roof of my mouth :-(

#1 Post by Sarah22 »

So I went to my ortho today to get wired, and he put a contraption between two upper molars so that they don't move with everything else. I've a powerchain btwn two molars on one side so that one of the molars rotates. When it rotates there will be enough space for a misaligned front tooth to move back into its correct position.

Anyway, what a pain... Feels awful, awkward, my tongue is hurting from pressing against the thick metal wires of the .... contraption (Forgot to ask what it was called!?)

Anybody else have this? Just wondering how long it will be before I can talk without a lisp and eat again :?

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

Chances are its a TPA. Its full name is transplantal arch or something im not too good with the spelling. The idea is that it stops your molars moving forward presumably into extraction gaps.

Your tounge will adjust and you'll get used to talking again and soon you probably wont notice it is there. Do a search for it on this forum loads of people have written bout them and there are some pics somewhere.

Remember wax and warm salt water rinses.

Sarah22

Warm Salt Water Rinse

#3 Post by Sarah22 »

Actually, as Im new to all this, I meant to ask, how often do people tend to rinse with salted water? Is this a once a day thing, and before or after mouthwash?

Idislikebraces

#4 Post by Idislikebraces »

Ahh yesterday I got a "Nance" Appliance...it doesnt hurt or ne thing but it just bothers me bc it feels like food is stuck to the roof of my mouth but really its just that...blah! But soon we'll get used to it! lol 8)
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!

Sarah22

It's a Nance

#5 Post by Sarah22 »

Thanks Idislikebraces, after checking that out on google, that's exactly what I have. Uch, good luck to you too. Soup for dinner for me!

MarkupNorth

#6 Post by MarkupNorth »

yep, I've had that since I got braces (over a year) and think I will have it till the end. You get used to it, but it is very annoying!!

poloaa

#7 Post by poloaa »

Sarah22, hi, don't worry, i had the same TPA u have, i started to feel very okay on my third day after it was put on, the very first day was the most annoying day, the second day i started to eat more food, and the third day i already could eat much faster and more. Now i get used to it already, of coz if it is removed, i will appreciate, but it doesn't bother me much. I was the one who looked for help on my first day, so hang in there, u will be okay. :wink:
35 years old, mom of two
Est. treatment time:16 months

Idislikebraces

Re: It's a Nance

#8 Post by Idislikebraces »

Sarah22 wrote:Thanks Idislikebraces, after checking that out on google, that's exactly what I have. Uch, good luck to you too. Soup for dinner for me!
Welcome! I'm glad i found this board cause my ma was getting annoyed at me whining to her...haha nd the soup for dinner sounds kinda good!! I think I'll get that when I go to the store!! Cause my back teeth are hurting now....but only when I bite down! OW! :x :shock: 8)
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!