newbie and I can't talk!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Damian

newbie and I can't talk!

#1 Post by Damian »

I got braces two weeks ago, full metal. They hurt the first week, then I got used to them. However, I still have trouble speaking!
I have to speak to groups several times a week for my job and the braces make this very difficult. The way they look does not bother me, but I have been considering giving up on this whole thing if I have to talk funny for the next two years.
I thought I would be used to them after two weeks, anyone have any advice?

Joanna20

#2 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey I've had my bottom braces for about 5 days and I'm talking funny as well... I'm slowly progressing! I have to speak up during English and Spanish classes, I always :oops: ! I'm dying to go back to my normal speaking... Plus I LOVE singing :?
I guess this only happens in the first weeks, cause I know a lot of people in braces who can speak normally. Some of us may take longer! I think you'll be fine :D Don't give up! You’ll get loads of support in this message board!

Good luck,
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

blondie111

#3 Post by blondie111 »

Hey Damian, don't give up yet! I noticed a definate change in my speech when I first got them, but I am doing MUCH better now, after a month. I still have a whistling sound when I say my "f's", but I can deal with that. You will get used to it, just give it some time! 8)

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

Damian

#4 Post by Damian »

I noticed that I have a lisp now and have trouble saying my F's and S's.
Part of the problem is my brackets keep sticking to my lips. It's better if I have lip balm on, but my lisp really bugs me! Everyone at work keeps commenting on it.
I also noticed that I don't have the lisp when I talk on the phone, just when I talk to people face to face. I think part of it might be I'm self conscious about the way my mouth looks now and move it differently when I talk to people in person.
My husband says he can't tell any difference at all, but he's probably just being nice!

Huon

#5 Post by Huon »

Damian.
I had trouble when I was singing, when I first had my braces. My ortho advised me to use some petroleum jelly on the upper archwire and brackets to help the lip slide over them. That might help you when you are speaking. I found it a help.
Huon

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

I still sometimes have a bit of trouble saying certain words...but things definitely go better once you get really used to all this stuff in your mouth...

Give it a little time and you will be fine :) Don't give up.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

Stick with it, damian. If you can talk on the phone without problems, then that's a good sign. You just need to the confidence to do this face to face.

The petroleum jelly tip sounds like a good one.

ingyandbert

#8 Post by ingyandbert »

Keep your lips moistened and concentrate on speaking slowly; that will help you annunciate better. The times I've had trouble speaking it was because I was talking too fast or I was just very tired and worn out.

krennen

#9 Post by krennen »

Just to add my two cents. I did talk funny at first then things improved somewhat and now I don't speak as well again. It has been almost five months since I got braces and I think things will probably change some more as time goes on! When this is all done I hope I can talk as well as when I was Ms Crooked Teeth

Grin&bareit73

#10 Post by Grin&bareit73 »

When I first got braced I talked funny too, I almost wanted to get them removed because of it..
Then I realized because they felt so big and foreign in my mouth, I was trying too hard to get my lips around them, and I was making myself talk funny.
A month later, I'm more used to them, and I only feel like i'm talking funny when my mouth is really dry and my lips stick to them, or i'm tired and slurry anyway.
I always hated the whistling sound the spaces between my front teeth made when I said my s's- so I'll take the temporary speech impediment anyday!!

It's so worth the temporary discomfort...just give it some time!!
[/url]

"Smile; if you can't lift the corners, let the middle sag..."

mogwai

#11 Post by mogwai »

I have the same thing! Its soo annoying!!!!

Its the wires that go round the back of the teeth from the molar bands that do it. I have them on both top and bottom, but I did get used to talking 'around' them in a couple of weeks, and you couldnt really notice a difference in my speech unles I was tired.

But this week, my ortho snipped off the bottom wire - whhooppeee I thought! But somehow this is causing me to lisp and slur again. But I think its just a matter of getting used to talking with the extra stuff in your mouth - you'll figure it out Im sure, its only a matter of time!

sjsarre

#12 Post by sjsarre »

Funnily enough I didn't really have too many problems talking initially, but over the past couple of weeks i've developed an annoying lisp.. I wonder if its because my teeth have moved...

Lyn

#13 Post by Lyn »

My lisping quickly turned into spitting.

I had spaces created from movement and every once in a while a friend would get an unsuspecting shower -- - eww!! That's the worse. 8)

BUT it does get better - give it time!!!
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7