Has anyone had big problems with brackets falling?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Joanna20

Has anyone had big problems with brackets falling?

#1 Post by Joanna20 »

Hi everyone, I had my lower braces put on about 2 weeks ago and 2 brackets fell from the wire, I went back to the ortho and got upper braces on Wednesday. She started gluying them and one of the brackets that had unglued itself 2 weeks ago popped out immediatly, has she attached it to the wire. And on Wednesday the one in the upper front tooth popped out, and also the ones on my right premolars, then my canine, then my right incisor, meaning ALL MY RIGHT UPPER SIDE is debraced now :shock:
Nothing popped out on the left side or on the bottom teeth... it's very stange :cry: I don't know what else to do, I almost don't eat now affraid that something else will pop out...
I had to cut the wire and remove the right side brackets on my upper teeth... it looks ridiculous now :cry:
I've called the office and they have told me to come in on Tuesday and see the doctor....
Has anyone else had these problems? I wonder what kind of glue they are using.... My ortho. says my enammel sucks...

Thanks,
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

M1k3y

#2 Post by M1k3y »

I've had my braces for just 7 days but haven't had this problem and hope to not have this problem. Perhaps your ortho is not prepping your teeth correctly before applying the glue and brackets. I'm no expert but this seems logical. Just talk to your ortho when you see him/her and make sure this gets corrected and doesn't again. This can and will slow down your progress. Good luck.
Braced 5-27-06 - 18 months with braces
Case 1 - minor crookedness
Envision Composite Brackets
M1k3y's introduction with photos
M1k3y's journey with photos

Debranded 3-20-08

Netje

#3 Post by Netje »

Hi Joanna,
There were a lot of problems getting my brackets on in the first place, but since then none have fallen off. On installation day they used initially a chemical bonding procedure - some compound on the tooth, another on the bracket, then hold them tight together for about 5 mins. On several teeth they just didn't stick after 3 attempts.... any trace of saliva can cause bonding failure, but unusual to have this amount of problem, and it wasn't related to a big filling or crown being present. They decided that the problem was with my enamel, so switched to a different bonding glue, this time activated by UV. Worked first time, and no problems since.
Netje

princesspenelope

#4 Post by princesspenelope »

I've had my braces for four and half weeks now, and the third bracket just fell out Thursday night/Friday morning. I woke up finding myself with teeth clenched and a bracket near the back fell out. All three are from the lower back teeth. Ever since the first one fell out, I've been very careful about eating and brushing/flossing, but I really don't think these last two were my fault. Anyways, I went to the ortho Friday, and the tech clipped the wire for me, and she gave me a bite guard, and said they will reattach the brackets at my first adjustment, which is three and half weeks from now. I used the guard last night and it worked really well. However, I'm still worried about more brackets falling out, because on my ortho contract, it says if more than three falls out, then I would have to pay extra to get them reattached. When the tech put them on the first time, she said they will stay on for the entire treatment (two years), and I never thought any of them would fall out when I signed the contract. Is this a common clause in an ortho contract?
May 3, 2006 - Upper and lower ceramics
March 2007 - Elastics for overbite (changed 3 times a day)

Joanna20

#5 Post by Joanna20 »

Hi princesspenelope, I'm doing my treatment in a non private thing where I live (outside US) so I didn't sign any contract or anything. I don't think they charge me when I go there and get brackets replaced... at least they haven't so far. All she did last time was she cut my wire where the brackets had fallen. So this time I did it myself (because this happened on a Friday afternoon and they're closed all weekend), but I have to go there on Tuesday because I'm only half upper braced now :oops: I'm going to show a bit of annoyance this time.
The bottom stayed fine ever since she glued that one bracket back again. My theory is that she started to put the glue on the left side, and perhaps took to much time on the that side and when she got to the right side the glue was probably half dried or something. Maybe it would stick in someone else's enamel, but it didn't on mine and I'm sure it's not my fault this time. Hopefully she'll get it done on Tuesday.
Thank you so much for your post!
Good luck,
Joanna

Joanna20

#6 Post by Joanna20 »

Yeah I know KK!
Let's hope that won't become a serious problem. I have a deep cleaning this Friday and they are to "seal" my teeth so that cavities have to chance. I'm calling my ortho. tomorrow (she only starts working on Tuesday) but I'm some the brackets will stick to the teeth because they have on the bottom arch and on the other side of the uppers. But yeah the wire is kind of crooked, there's a lot of tension in it because my lateral incisors are quite turned.
Thanks for the advice!
Joanna

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

Sometimes brackets do pop off occassionally, but it sounds like you've had an extreme problem with this!

From what I understand, it can mean that they may not have been bonded well at the start. It's apparently a subtle process, getting the right amount of bonding material.

If you do a forum search you will probably find other posts from the past about this, too.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!