Weird question about Crest Pro-Health Rinse. Strange thing

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gennel

Weird question about Crest Pro-Health Rinse. Strange thing

#1 Post by Gennel »

After going to different forums and reading so many dentists saying this was their #1 Choice for (alcohol-free rinse) I went out today and bought one. Since I hated the alcohol rinses, I rarely rinsed with moutwashes becaus I could not handle the burning.

I brushed my teeth,rinsed with water. Then I took about less than an ounce of the Crest Pro-Health rinse and swooshed it around in my mouth for about 25-30 seconds. Well when I spit it out it came out in blue chunks? Some was the rinse that I spit out but the rest looked like pieces of blue "cottage cheese" ? It was NOT food. I had to rinse my mouth out with water afterward because I had some of these blue chunks stuck on my teeth. ..yuck
I floss daily and brush 2-3 times a day.

I checked the expiration date and that was not the problem.

Anyone have this happen to them? What could that be?

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

Ive had that problem, over in the uk theres this two tone thing you mix together so i bought it. It left me with unsightly bits and i hated it.

Anticipator

#3 Post by Anticipator »

Similar results here.

I hope that it's a coagulation of plaque and other unwanted stuff, but if not, it appears to be typical results.

It certainly feels better to spit out solids after washing, no?
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

Yes, if you search the forums you'll see that we addressed this topic a while back. Everyone agreed that it leaves "pieces of stuff" in your mouth. Personally I found it yucky. I think that Biotene rinse is a decent alternative.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Michal

#5 Post by Michal »

I've noticed it too. I went to the Crest website and this is what I found:

I notice blue specks in my sink after I spit out the rinse. What are these?
The active ingredient in Crest Pro-Health, CPC, as well as the blue color can bind to bacteria and specks in your mouth, making them more visible when you spit into the sink. This is a sign that the product is working and is not harmful. Some consumers find that running the sink before expectorating the rinse helps prevent the blue debris from sticking.

http://www.crest.com/prohealthrinse/qa.jsp

Hope this helps!

3M Clarity up front, rest metal--20 Jan 2006
Debraced 20 Apr 2007, 15 months total in Braces

Gennel

#6 Post by Gennel »

Thank you Michal!

I'll go check out the link. For now I will just finish this bottle and look for another Alcohol-free mouth rinse\\\

Gennel

Michal

#7 Post by Michal »

Not a problem. The stuff really weirded me out. I'm thinking about trying something different.

3M Clarity up front, rest metal--20 Jan 2006
Debraced 20 Apr 2007, 15 months total in Braces

RabbleRouser

#8 Post by RabbleRouser »

I had the exact same thing happen with Procare rinse. My DDS said it was epithelial (sp?) tissue, not plaque! He said it was not the rinse. It went away when I stopped using whitening toothpaste and switched to natural (Tom's)
Might want to try a gentler toothpaste. :D

Chris

#9 Post by Chris »

I tried that rinse too and I got an awful aftertaste that did not go away.
Personally, I'll go back to the alcohol base rinses (Listerine)...I like the tingling feeling and it feels more cleaner.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

CelestialVoices

#10 Post by CelestialVoices »

Am I the only one on the board who didn't have that problem? I'm getting kind of sick of the taste though, it's just wierd.... (licorice-like/mediciney?) Oh well, it's better than alcohol burning the insides of my mouth. :)