Off to get spacers now... (oh the joy)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

IntentionallyBlank

Off to get spacers now... (oh the joy)

#1 Post by IntentionallyBlank »

hey guys,

At 4.15pm today I have my appointment to get spacers. Am I nervous, hell yes! But not as nervous as thought I'd be.

Now I dont have to worry abount the day i'm starting my orthodontoic journey, coz the day is here, and its almost over. I'm one day closer to a better smile, and one day further away from having bad teeth.

Of course I am aprehensive, but the best way i can put how i feel is like the hour before an important exam that you have revised and worked hard for. I dont necessarily want to do it, and it wont be nice, but the benefits of some hard work and patience will be apparent in a year or so. I'm thinking of it as an investment in myself. My time.

Its weird, i didnt wear my braces as a teenager cos I was worried what I would look like and sound like and was afraid of being bullied and teased. Now, at 30, I want to get braces because of what i do look like. And if anybody makes a comment (not that any of my friends will), well now I'm big enough and clever enough not to let it bother me!

Remember, a long journey begins with a single step.

Wish me luck guys.... i'm going to put my walking boots on. :?

Mr Blank
"There is no dark side of the moon, as a matter of fact... it's all dark."

fitchick

#2 Post by fitchick »

Lots of Good Wishes from me too IntentionallyBlank.

You are certainly approaching this road the right way. You will find much encouragement and inspiration from all on this site.

Keep focussed on the end result, that perfect smile and teeth to be proud of.

Good Luck,

Julie

blondie111

#3 Post by blondie111 »

Good luck today Intentionally Blank! You will not regret this decision. I did wonder why I did it a few days after I had them on, but I got used to it and now I dont' think about them at all! You have a good attitude about it all and you will be fine!

Just remember the perfect smile you can flash at people when this journey is all over!

Keep us posted as how the appt. goes! :wink:

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

michelle85

#4 Post by michelle85 »

Good luck! You are definitly making the right desicion. You have a fantastic attitude.

If you haven't already, stock up on lots of soft foods. You'll need them :).

Gottaplaygamz

#5 Post by Gottaplaygamz »

Hi,
Good luck. I am getting my spacers this week too and I am also nervous.
Keep us updated!

fitchick

#6 Post by fitchick »

IntentionallyBlank,

How did your appointment go getting the spacers?

Gottaplaygamz,

Let us know how yours goes too.

Good Luck!

Jared

Spacers on Thursday for me!

#7 Post by Jared »

I am a little nervous about getting started finally, but looking forward to getting this show on the road. Best of luck to you, and to all of us newbies just getting started.
35 years old, married, father of 5, braced on June 15, 2006

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"
-Def Leppard, Rock of Ages--Pyromania

Jared

Spacers on Friday for me!

#8 Post by Jared »

I am a little nervous about getting started finally, but looking forward to getting this show on the road. Best of luck to you, and to all of us newbies just getting started.
35 years old, married, father of 5, braced on June 15, 2006

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"
-Def Leppard, Rock of Ages--Pyromania

IntentionallyBlank

more than expected

#9 Post by IntentionallyBlank »

hey all.

Well, i went to the ortho yesterday to get my spacers, and came out with spacers AND brackets (ceramics). :shock:

Shocker. Didn't expect that, and kinda good in a way that they were just thrust upon me, no option for second thoughts should the spacers have been bad. Have to go back on Wed for banding and wire fitting

So first impression, the ceramics dont look too bad, although because there is no wire on they have a metal holding space on them that looks like i have a little black stripe across each tooth. Looks weird and was unexpected.

Spacers are in and at the minute not causing any pain. Just a bit squishy when i bite.

I phoned my mum to tell her that i got a brace, and the way I phrased it, (ie "i ve got some news to tell you") ... she though i was gonna say i was getting married or I was going to be a dad!! ! LOL!!!

Strange reactions from friends. I was out with 3 friends for a meal last night, and each one of them said to me.... "why? cant say i've ever noticed your bad teeth". How could they not fricking notice? To me they are horrendous. This started me thinking that I may have made the wrong decision and that i was going the wrong thing, but I now have a picture of my teeth on my cell/mobile phone that i just need to glance at to realise just why i am doing this. Anyway, each of my friends inturn said they too had issues with their own teeth and would have like to get them fixed, and that included one of my friends who i would say has perfect teeth! I even asked him how long he had a brace for when he was young and he said he didnt have one, ever!! wow!! Lucky barsteward!! :roll:

Today is my first day in work. Not sure how to bring up the subject, I havent told anybody i was getting them, but now i want to tell everyone so that they arent looking at me with a weird stare and a "whats that dude got on his teeth?" kinda look

Anyway, things arent as bad as i thought they'd be... ie things are bearable. As i mentioned before, I no longer have to worry about whether to get a brace or not... that period of uncertainty is over. I no longer have to woory about my bad smile, cos those days are getting further and further behind me. Still a long way to go, but the journey has begun.

So, wire on wednesday, 4.15pm UK Time . Wish me luck, and I'll try and get some pictures posted soon.

Blankety-Blank.

(9-12 months-ish to go)
Last edited by IntentionallyBlank on Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no dark side of the moon, as a matter of fact... it's all dark."

lionfish

#10 Post by lionfish »

Good luck, intentionally blank. Will be thinking of you....maybe. I'm still trying to work out what 4.14 pm GMT is in Oz time.

Anyway, you'll be fine.

blondie111

#11 Post by blondie111 »

Great to hear everything went well, in spite of the surprise of brackets! That's how my ortho did it to..... spacers and brackets first, then a week later had the wires put on. I asked about why they do that, he said it was to help me get used to having the brackets rub against the inside of my mouth, so when the wire goes in and exerts pressure, I won't be experiencing 2 kinds of pain, just one.

Glad you made the decision to go ahead and get this done. You will be so happy you did. Just stick to the softer foods for awhile, take Ibuprofen when necessary, and rinse your mouth out daily with warm salt water to help the insides of your mouth!

Would love to see pics sometime!

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

jaswi

#12 Post by jaswi »

That's also how mines going to be done, and also my sisters was done some 8 or 10 years ago.. Seems to be pretty common practice, no?

fitchick

#13 Post by fitchick »

I'm pleased that it all went well IB. No turning back now! I like the way the ortho's do the unexpected.

I look forward to following your progress.

Good Luck

Julie