When will my teeth come together again?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

When will my teeth come together again?

#1 Post by genxsis »

I've been in braces for 4 months now, and increasingly, my teeth don't come together when I bite down. Only the ones in back with the molar bands come together, but the rest don't. That makes it hard to chew up food all the way like I should. Talking isn't as easy as before either. At what stage of my treatment will they be able to come together again. Please don't say it will be at the end when I start using elastics! That's what I'm afraid it will be. Ok, you can say it, if it's the truth! :lol:
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

katmc_tx

#2 Post by katmc_tx »

genxsis, I would like to give you hope that your teeth will come together very soon but its really different for everyone.

When I started out I was worried and wondering if I was going to be unable to chew and rest my teeth for 18 to 24 months :shock: .

I had my braces on for about a month and a half before I was able to rest top to bottom and chew. When it finally happened I wanted to throw a party:banana:.

But it will happen to you to before you know it. Good luck and hope all goes well. :wink:
Got my braces off 9/20/07 after 19 months and 3 weeks. WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!

jaswi

#3 Post by jaswi »

from what I've been reading your bite will change many many times during treatment, so I would expect you'll be happy at some point but that will change again and again.

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

I've been in braces for a little over 4 months to straighten up and close my bite. I have some serious gaps on either side between my front teeth and my second molars.

When I started, my front teeth made contact; now they don't. But overall, my teeth (especially my uppers) are a lot more even compared to 4 months ago. Enough of my molars make contact, so chewing is no problem.

I'm starting elastics on 26 June. Guess what? This is to close down my bite. I reckon I'm going to be stuck with them for quite a while, perhaps for the remainder of treatment (at least another year). I can't say I'm relishing the prospect, but the alternative (surgery) was far less appealing.
Last edited by lionfish on Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kell

#5 Post by Kell »

I can't answer your question but I wanted to let you know that I am having the same problem. I'm trying not to worry because I read here daily that your bite will keep changing. I think I will ask the Ortho next time I go in just to make me feel better. My bite was perfect before braces and now it's all messed up. It does make it really hard to chew.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

genxsis

#6 Post by genxsis »

I guess I can live with things as they are for now. I hope I won't have to be in elastics for a whole year to correct the problem though! :wink:
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

CLAmom

#7 Post by CLAmom »

My bite is pretty bad, too, but has improved ever so slightly. I'm about at the 3 1/2 month mark. My canines were hitting end to end for the longest time--now that was annoying. Now the canines ALMOST clear each other. I still do a lot of eating with my front teeth and it takes forever because my molars don't touch. Here's hoping that this starts to get better for all of us soon. Wish I had the answer but the only assurance I've gotten from my ortho so far is that I should be biting down pretty well at the 6 month mark. :roll:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

jennielee81

#8 Post by jennielee81 »

HI!
Before I got braces my back teeth meshed perfectly (well, in my opinion). Then I got braces April 2005 and my back teeth didn't meet again until August 2005 :shock: .

All seemed great until I got my first rectangular wire and then I my back teeth didn't meet again! :huh:

About a month later I was happy with my nice tidy bite and then I got elastics (at the 1 year point) the ortho warned me that my bite would be off again...IT WAS! Went out to eat that night and only 2 teeth on the right side were touching. :-=

This whole journey is a good bite/bad bite thing for me.

Everyone is different. One thing is the same, things get weird before they get "normal". Then they could get weird again. The timing of our bad times is all different.

Hang in there, it'll all be good some day! :wink:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm