Chips, anyone? *question + pic*

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

McGinley

Chips, anyone? *question + pic*

#1 Post by McGinley »

Hey, I've had regular metal braces since 1st Dec 2004. It's now a year and a half into my treatment and I was told that's how long it would last..My teeth are pretty much straight now, but I have a question!

Since I was 13 or to I got chips at the bottom of my front two teeth. I don't remember exactly how I got them -- I think I ran into SOMEONE and left them with a bump on their forehead! Anyway, the chips have bothered me since I got braces on because I really want *perfect* teeth.

My orthodontist told me they'd be whitened when I get the braces off, and my dentist said she would file my teeth if I wanted (just thought of something * see bottom). I was thinking, getting filed would be good! It means there wouldn't be any nasty chips on my teeth..

There is a photo of my teeth. Forgive the yellowy colour and my odd-looking tongue (currently sick!). I don't know whether or not to get them filed! So I want the opinion of this community! Do you think it would be better getting teeth filed or not?

Would it be better to get just the fton two filed or all the top ones? Maybe if I just got the front two filed they would look tiny compared to other teeth... I just don't know! Your opinions please!!

* On Monday (June 12th) I will be 18 years old. My orthodontic treatment has been free, and will remain free until I don't need any further assistence but I just realised that getting my teeth filed would occur when I'm 18. I'm in the UK and have no special health/dental coverage (just NHS), does anyone know if I'm going to have to pay £ for this? Thanks.
Braces on: 1st December 2004
Estimated sentence: 18months
Feeling: Achey.

kitten81

#2 Post by kitten81 »

Hi McGinley,

I've been in braces for over 22 months now and also have a chip in my front tooth. The plan is once my braces come off, I will have them whitened and then the chip will be filled using bonding.

My ortho will also file some teeth to even out the line but personally I wouldn't recommend filing your front teeth down to eliminate the chips because I think you would lose too much length on them which may make them look a little odd. Talk to your ortho and dentist about bonding... the only other option I think is veneers but they're very expensive and also involve filing perfectly healthy teeth away to make room for the veneer.

I'm not from the UK so I can't advise you on how much these different options cost so the best idea would be to talk to your ortho.

Good luck!

kitten81

M1k3y

#3 Post by M1k3y »

kitten81 hit it right on the nail. I second her opinion.
Braced 5-27-06 - 18 months with braces
Case 1 - minor crookedness
Envision Composite Brackets
M1k3y's introduction with photos
M1k3y's journey with photos

Debranded 3-20-08

ingyandbert

#4 Post by ingyandbert »

Have your dentist file the two front teeth conservatively (meaning the least amount possible to make them look acceptable, even if not perfect) and then see how you feel about it. If you like it, you could consider having them filed a bit more if your dentist recommends it. I have a feeling the filing will look fine, but if you're not satisified then you can look into bonding or whatever. But I'd try the filing option first.

Dark_angel

#5 Post by Dark_angel »

If your still in full time education or going to uni next year i believe you still get free NHS treatment.

jcdamon3

#6 Post by jcdamon3 »

I have a similar tooth chip (and wear) and my dentist and Ortho and another dentist REFUSED to file it. They all agreed on this. The reason is that you loose too much tooth. Your ortho would have to file all of your six front teeth to keep the correct lengths between your two front teeth and the teeth next to them and your canines. Look at your chip and how short the tooth would have to go to eliminate it entirely. Your front teeth would be the same length as your incisors. . While it is not unattractive it is not as natural looking either. Short teeth looked slightly more aged. I am 46 so I need all the tooth length I can get! :-)

You have really great teeth. I would recommend the bonding although I have not investigated this 100% myself (I may forgo bonding altogether and no way am I getting veneers) but really ask and weigh all your options. Once you file those teeth they can't be put back on (except with bonding)
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

I think it depends on how large the chipped parts are.

I had a few of my teeth shaped after the braces came off. My top front teeth were made slightly smaller and evened out. Ditto for a couple on the bottom. I also had a slight jagged part on one tooth smoothed out. But these were very small, subtle changes.

If the chips are too big for shaping/filing, you might want to consider bonding or even possibly those very thin veneers. I understand that with the new ones (Lumineers, I think...) they don't have to file down the teeth too much to put them on, so there's less damage. I'm not sure if they would only do two teeth, or whether they are normally put on "the social 6" on top. Obviously you only have issues with the top front teeth, not with the others.

If your regular dentist or orthodontist aren't sure what to do for you, you might want to consult with a dentist who concentrates on cosmetic dentistry, to see what your options might be.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

McGinley

#8 Post by McGinley »

Thanks guys, all your comments have been very useful!

Thanks Dark_angel for your comment about the prices, yes I'm still in Full-time education and I am going to Uni in October!

I don't know ANYTHING about bonding but after looking up some photos on Google images it looks like some tooth-replacement method. What is the 'fake' tooth bits made out of are the sore to get in? (for anyone that knows please answer!)

Veneers!? Thanks for the comments but I'm still just 17. I thought veneers were for older people or for people with terrible teeth. I'll talk to my ortho on Wed 21st June (next consult).

jaswi

#9 Post by jaswi »

I've got a bonding on my top left front tooth from where I did a nose-dive into a parking lot when I was 12 or so. Doesn't hurt to have it put in. They did have to numb me up though because I broke my tooth off right down to edge of the nerve and they had to drill some to get the asphault out. Anyhow, when I first got it replaced it looked really good except a little crooked(dentist had no skill for it). I'm the only one that can tell it doesn't exactly match the color of the rest of my tooth anymore or that its not perfect. They told me I would need it replaced in my early 20's, and here I am going on 21.. the bonding itself is fine but after braces I'll have it replaced to match and be more perfect.
Here's a bad picture of my teeth that you can kind of see it on.. its front right tooth in the picture, look at the corner on the side of other incisor, not lateral. Edited with a better image probably before you saw the last.

jcdamon3

#10 Post by jcdamon3 »

Bonding is more like a build up of the tooth with composite resin material. It is more like a filling than anything else. It is not at all a tooth replacement. This is the best website I have found for this:

http://www.animated-teeth.com/

Go to the bottom and click on tooth bonding.

Jean
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

bbsadmin

#11 Post by bbsadmin »

I had a little bonding done on two teeth to slightly enlarge them for asethetics. I also had a speck of bonding done to close up a couple of pesky left-over tiny gaps after my braces came off.

Bonding material is a tooth-colored composite resin. The dentist can match the color of your tooth so nobody else will know that part of your tooth is bonded. They etch your tooth a bit to make sure the composite material adheres well. They apply the bonding material, cure it with a spam spam light, shape it, then shape it further and polish it. When it's done, you can't tell where your natural tooth ends and the bonding begins.

It does need to be replaced after about maybe 10 years, however. Also, my daughter's friend (a pre-teen girl) badly chipped a tooth and had bonding done to it. Every so often, because of rough horseplay or whatever, the bonded part comes off and it has to be re-done. But then again, she is a child and less careful about her teeth than an adult would be.

I've had my bonding for about a year now and I'm very happy with it. No problems whatsoever.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

jaswi

#12 Post by jaswi »

As for color matching.. even with the difference between my bonding and how my teeth are now, nobody ever notices it unless i point it out. As for it falling or breaking off, that must be one rough kid. I've hit my tooth on stuff, played football, wrestling.. bit into apples.. nothing has made mine budge at all.

ShinySmile

#13 Post by ShinySmile »

I had bonding on my front right tooth when I was about eight, when I chipped it very badly. The dentist eventually did a root canal/crown on it, because the bonding chipped twice...but then again, I was eight, and probably not very careful ;)

McGinley

#14 Post by McGinley »

Thanks for your replies guys they've really helped me get an understanding about bonding.

Does anyone know if I'd have to get an injection for my bonding? I'm not *afraid* of needles but when I got teeth out just before braces went on I got 4 injections and it sucked :P

I ask because I read some people got injections, but my chips are quite small compared to the pics of bonding I have seen so far.

Sorry for all the questions, but this community is most helpful :D

Gennel

#15 Post by Gennel »

This is only my personal opinion. If I was in this same situation . I would have the dentist/orthodontist file down the 2 front teeth a little. Just to give it a softer smoother look .It's not going to be super perfect but it will look a lot better and you might be very pleased and satisfied enough and not pursue bonding or veneers.I agree that your front teeth chip is not big enough for bonding.Veneeers are awesome but are very expensive.

My ortho told me he would file down any imperfections the day I get my braces removed. But he does not go overboard when he does this so I know I will be very pleased with the results

Gennel
Last edited by Gennel on Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.