Extractions....do they hurt?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Septimus

Extractions....do they hurt?

#1 Post by Septimus »

I think I'm in for 4 extractions....

Can someone who's had extractions done tell me honestly if it hurts and how much.....and what is the process involved....

I had one when i was about 9 because of an absys but i dont remember it...

paulosportz

#2 Post by paulosportz »

for my braces i had 4 extractions + one wisdon tooth removed.

well! the needle might give a little sting but other then that
its not to bad.

the extraction it self will be painless but u will feel alot of pressure being applied(depending on which tooth). dentist will need to use alot of force to yank it out.

Septimus

#3 Post by Septimus »

painless!
are you kidding me ?!?!?

thats good i suppose !!!

and where do they stick the needle in ???

Septimus

#4 Post by Septimus »

thanks for that people

i was really dreading it until now

momof2grlz

#5 Post by momof2grlz »

I second what everyone else said. I had two premolars extracted for braces. The worst part is the sting from the injection - but my dentist puts numbing gel on the injection site first, so even the sting was minor. No pain afterward unless you totally forget about the extractions and bite down on something too hard. Follow the aftercare instructions carefully so you avoid dry socket and you'll be fine. Good luck!

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

paulosportz

#6 Post by paulosportz »

if ur worried baout needles just advice ur doc to apply more of this numbing cream they use
does help

other then that! shouldnt be a big problem

let us know how u go

michael33

#7 Post by michael33 »

I guess everyone is different. I had 2 bicuspids yanked. I didn't mind the needle. Unbelievable pain during the extractions for me.

cookie

#8 Post by cookie »

I had 2 lower 2nd bicuspids extracted for my treatment. TBH it wasn't the most pleasant experience. Not in that it was painful, rather, the injections didn't numb my mouth very well, and it took 7 injections and half an hour before the dentists was able to start removing the teeth. The teeth came out no problem and it didn't hurt one bit.

It was the eating and drinking for the week or so after extractions wwhich I found the biggest PIA. I was very aware of trying not to get food in the holes. I got a bit of throbbing pain about 5 days after when I think I got something stuck, but that's all.
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

Henna_the_braceface

#9 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

Hi! I had 4 extractions too about 6 months ago. The injections might hurt a little bit but apart from that you will feel no pain becuase you're mouth will be numb. You will feel a lot of pulling though! Good luck :D

nita

#10 Post by nita »

I had four extractions about 10 weeks ago. Just like the others, I wouldn't say that it hurt. Whenever I started to feel any pain, I just asked them for more numbing stuff.

It is a bit disconcerting, though, because they have to pull the tooth in different directions until it breaks away from the jaw. Just make sure that the person who is doing the extraction is kind - mine made sure to tell me what to expect and went slowly so that I wouldn't freak out. I guess he could tell I was nervous.

That night, I had a little soreness in my jaw, but really no pain after. Make sure to follow all the instructions and you'll be healed up in no time.

I know it's hard, but just try not to be too nervous about it. I think that the problems I had with my extractions were caused by my own nerves and not by the extractions themselves. :D
Top brackets and spacers on 2/17/06
Molar bands on 3/6/06
Extractions and full braces 3/27/06
Update: 22-24 months total time in braces!

JoeMama

#11 Post by JoeMama »

I think that if you let the dentist know you're concerned about the pain, they'll generally make more of an effort to make sure you're comfortable.

Everyone is different. I had 4 wisdom teeth out, while I was out (cold). That was great for me because I'm a wuss. My husband had his out with just a local injection, and he was fine. He thought it would be a lot worse than it actually was. He said the worst part was the pulling.
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

fitchick

#12 Post by fitchick »

Hi Septimus,

Great question! I have to have 2 extractions and I'm terrified. I thought twice about reading your replies in case I chickened out. Brilliant tip about the numbing gel, I didn't know they did that.

Will you post to let me know how yours go?

Thanks a lot and Good Luck,

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Henna_the_braceface

#13 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

fitchick wrote:Hi Septimus,

Great question! I have to have 2 extractions and I'm terrified. I thought twice about reading your replies in case I chickened out. Brilliant tip about the numbing gel, I didn't know they did that.

Will you post to let me know how yours go?

Thanks a lot and Good Luck,

Julie
Good luck with you're extractions too! :D

fitchick

#14 Post by fitchick »

Thank you Henna The Braceface!
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

#15 Post by Chris »

Well, I have to say, truthfully, that each time was different. Once it was truly a piece of cake, another time, not so pleasant (not painful but dreadfully long taking out 2 wisdom teeth) and the last time was a tug of war with drilling to get the roots out (that was totally unpleasant). Again, its not that its painful but the drilling is disconcerting, you wonder if he's gonna drill right through the jaw. Sorry for the vivid description, you wanted to know the truth. After that experience, I want to be sedated next time. Afterwards I didn't have any major pain (no pain pills taken). I think it was all psychological, just the thought of what was going on. :roll:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007