What is a tie wire?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rockexrolloh

What is a tie wire?

#1 Post by rockexrolloh »

What is a wire tie? Is it a little wire that goes around your bracket?
There was a wire poking my lip and i tried to push it back with a pencil eraser but the whole thing came off. Its really tiny and went around my bracket so I just wanted to see what it was called.
I have to go to the ortho tomorrow for a loose bracket so I'll just get it put back on but I didn't want to call it something it wasn't. Hah.
Also, what purpose does it serve?

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

Yes, it sounds like a wire tie. They use it instead of or in addition to a lig. It just creates a little more torque for movement. Apparently they didn't put enough twists in it and thats why it came off when you tried to push it in.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

rockexrolloh

#3 Post by rockexrolloh »

Thank you!! KK, I have clear braces on my top 6 teeth so that could be why. Just wanted to make sure!

alwayshungry

#4 Post by alwayshungry »

hey, that's cool! i have clear braces on my top 6 teeth too! i thought my ortho was on crack but i guess it's not so unommon :D

alwayshungry

#5 Post by alwayshungry »

good to know, thanks, KK!

in other news, i wish i had taken "before" pics...it's only been two months but my 6 front lower teeth are already straight (and they used to be crazy crooked) :D

rockexrolloh

#6 Post by rockexrolloh »

i got my wire tie fixed today and my ortho just took my bracket off. not even 4 hours later the wire tie came off, AGAIN. now i have to go back tomorrow and get another one put on.
i hope the next year is going to be like this.