How do I know if my teeth are moving?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fitchick

How do I know if my teeth are moving?

#1 Post by fitchick »

I am almost at the end of week 2 in lower braces and apart from the odd ulcer, I have had no pain or anything. I get a slight tingling sensation now and again that's all. How do I know if my teeth are moving or not if I can't feel anything different? Or am I just being impatient?

I will post pics once I get them from my ortho at my 1st adjustment.

Thank you in advance for any replies. And good luck to everyone.

Julie

Treatment time 18-24months.
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OneTime

#2 Post by OneTime »

2 weeks is short, give it some time.

In process...
4 spacer and upper braced 1/10
Spacer removed and fully braced 1/24
Final 05/15/08

eaglesoaring

#3 Post by eaglesoaring »

fitchick-

Hi! I'm on day 10...and I've got to tell you...my teeth feel loose. That's the only reason I know they're doing SOMETHING! Not sure if they're moving...but I HAVE had a little movement in my lower, front teeth. I can see it. They were overlapped, and now I can get floss in between the much easier! Yes, they're still overlapped, but they seem to be less "packed together". Plus, when I take a drink, I can feel my front, upper teeth...kind of "click". I can't describe it. I can feel SOMETHING.

HOWEVER, my right side isn't really doing ANYTHING, OR so it seems! I'm not tender, and my teeth on that side don't feel loose, like the others. Naturally, that's the worst side of my mouth...so I was hoping for something more definitive.

I would say that you have raised a great question for all of us that are just getting started. First, we go through the process of getting braces on, then we can only eat baby food (just kidding...it's not that bad! LOL), and all we really want is some sort of sign that things are going in the right direction! Right? I'm sure it is different for everybody, but I'd like to know what people really noticed as a definitive sign of movement.
eagle

fitchick

#4 Post by fitchick »

Eagle,

Thanks for that. But, teeth feel loose??? I suppose if the worst happens then you can always then put them straight back in to where they should have been moving to in the first place!

As OneTime said, I maybe a little impatient. My lower teeth are full of gaps, and sometimes I think the gaps have closed but other times I think they're further apart. It's a while until my 1st adjustment and I am keen to see/feel something, if only to know that the 18 or 24 months are getting that much closer. I'm glad you think my question worthwhile, I wondered whether it was a silly question, but I want this done yesterday.

It's positive to hear you have movement though, that's a step closer. Keep going with baby food. How great does that taste!!!!

I'm day 13 today so I shall enjoy following your story and comparing notes.

Good Luck.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Mar07 Upper Brace on

eaglesoaring

#5 Post by eaglesoaring »

Fitchick-

Yes, they feel loose. Strange, huh? Yes, if I could pull them out, roots and all (like a weed growing in the garden), I'd pull them out and strategically place them in perfect spots! LOL.

No, I didn't think it was a silly question at all. We all need a little encouragement from our new mouth. This morning, I thought: Can I really have these things in my mouth for 18 months? Ugh.

Yes, patience, my friend. Patience. WHAT IS THAT, ANYWAY? Ha! Ha! I completely agree...I want this done yesterday! I ask myself repeatedly, why on earth didn't I do this years ago? Then I thin...well, at least I'm doing it now!! Better late than never, right?

How's your babyfood diet going? LOL. Seriously, how are you managing with your eating?
eagle

lionfish

#6 Post by lionfish »

Fitchick, the sure fire way to tell if your teeth have moved is through flossing.

nvcarissa

#7 Post by nvcarissa »

It took a couple of months for me to notice any discernable movement, but change was happening. I mostly noticed it with my bite. I literally did not know where my molars and bicuspids were going to be when I woke in the morning! My ortho needed to widen my bite and that allowed my front teeth to move into place from their original crowded positions.

My teeth felt a bit "soft" and sometimes clicked. But movement seemed slow. Still my teeth did move! :D

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

not2worry39212

#8 Post by not2worry39212 »

I am sooo glad that you asked that question. I've been asking myself that question for about a week and a half. But didn't want to ask, 'cause I thought I was beeing impatient. Even though I can't "see" any movement. I've definetly got the loose teeth and clicking feeling. Thanks again for asking.

mostro

#9 Post by mostro »

That was a great question.
I am on my 3rd day with braces and I only feel a bit of pain when I bite witrh my two front teeth,which are my most crocked ones. I am not sure if they are moving or loosening but I am confident that it will happen.
I will pay attention to how well can I floss now and compare it in the future. Good luck and be patient!

:D

penma

#10 Post by penma »

Well, you could take pictures :P But don't expect any big changes after two weeks. And some peoples' teeth move faster than others.

fitchick

#11 Post by fitchick »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I feel much better now.

Not2worry & Mostro - I'm glad I asked. I'll always be the one on here asking silly questions. I don't mind 'cos you can't see me!!!

KK - I have had the spongy feeling today, feels very weird. I couldn't quite describe it, but spongy is exactly it. Yippee!, my teeth are getting the message.

Eagle - We all seem to be asking ourselves the same old questions. I keep thinking 18 mths?? But that time goes by so quickly. And yes I wished I'd had enough courage to have done this years ago too. But we have already started now, so we're not even at the beginning anymore. As for eating, I lost 4lb in week 1, 4lb I could have done with putting on in the first place, not losing. My diet is rice, fish and pasta. I'm adding bits slowly, so again, what's that word? PATIENCE???

Lionfish - My gaps between the teeth are gaps that didn't close after having teeth extracted years ago, so I can get almost a whole toothbrush between them right now, so flossing doesn't give too much of an indication. It will help as a guide in 6mths time to the top ones though, so thank you.

Nvcarissa - That's encouraging to know that they moved, even though it was slow.

Penma - Thanks, I took pictures tonight. I'll watch and see.

Thank you to everyone, I really appreciate your comments. I'd be lost without this site.

Good Luck,

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Mar07 Upper Brace on