Well, guess I was WAY off base

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JennThompson79

Well, guess I was WAY off base

#1 Post by JennThompson79 »

When I went to the ortho this time, it was because I wanted to fix my crooked teeth. I had NO idea that so much other stuff was going on. I got a letter from my ortho today with his actual diagnosis spelled out for me. And I thought I just had crooked teeth, lol apparently this is what is wrong with my mouth:

Angle Classification: Class 2, Division 1 (I have no clue what this means)

Lower front teeth too far behind upper front teeth

Anatomic Openbite (not sure what they mean here either)

Upper front teeth are right of center

Lower front teeth are left of center

Insufficient space available for upper teeth

Crossbite present.

So, needless to say, when I go back on Wed. for my braces, I am going to ask him what those 2 things are, although, I think he did tell me all this on Mon before he put the spacers in, I just think that maybe he used plain english and now I'm not putting what it's called in the letter with everything he said on Mon. LOL

juf_84

#2 Post by juf_84 »

Hey Jenn, I was the same!

I went in thinking I had crowding and extractions would be in order.

Actually, I have:

A mild malocclusion resulting from malalignment of the anterior dention

After having this letter for three weeks I think I know what it means lol! I did see him writing "Class II" down at the consult so that helped.

So no extractions :banana: and as well as simply straightening my teeth, my bite will be improved and my profile will be made 'lovely' (in the words of my ortho!).

It is never as simple as it seems, is it? :D It actually makes me feel better about this whole thing, as it's no longer just cosmetic!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

Pirate Wench

#3 Post by Pirate Wench »

I got one of those letters too. It is put away right now, but I know it mentioned a maloccussion, lower crowding, overjet, exessive overbite....I know there was more, but I can't think of what they were. Then when I went for my final consult and uppers yesterday, he showed me my molds. None of my teeth on the right side of my mouth line up properly. I could really see how bad my bite is. What a disappointment! :cry: All I went in for was to fix my TMD. I get alot of migraines and this treatment should help!

Just like Kiwi, I had never really noticed the shape of my arch or the alignment of my midline before I started looking at braces. Much to my amazement...my lower teeth are crowded and my midline is off.

Jeneva

#4 Post by Jeneva »

yeah -i'm in the same boat -i went for what i saw as a little minor crowding in my bottom teeth and then the ortho discussed my overbite, my top front teeth pushing inward, and a lot of other issues... so here i am...
Spacers in 17 June 2006
top braced 28 June 06
bottom spacers 6 November 06
bottom braced 16 November 06

Betty Bat

#5 Post by Betty Bat »

Since many of us went to the ortho to "fix" something specific and ended up with a laundry list of other things to be corrected, wouldn't it be interesting to see what an ortho would say about any other person? I'm sure that if my spouse (who wore braces when he was young) went to the ortho, the ortho would end up with a list of correctable things for him!

Joanna20

#6 Post by Joanna20 »

Wow! Don't u worry, all of those are "doable" I'm sure!
Take care and I wish the best of luck!
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February