Does anyone else whistle when they talk?!?!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sarahm

Does anyone else whistle when they talk?!?!

#1 Post by sarahm »

Hi,

I've had braces on my upper teeth for a week now and simply can not say anything with the letter 'f' in it without creating a high pitched whistle!!
The people at work think it's hilarious!
My teo front teeth are forward so I'm hoping when they move this will stop.

Will it?

Sarah the whistler :lol:

johnnys_angel

#2 Post by johnnys_angel »

Sarah, I couldn't help but notice you're from Whistler :lol: (just kidding, I am feeling sort of punchy today!). I don't think I ever had a whistling problem, but like Lucy I had serious spit problems haha. My mother used to whistle a lot when she said her "s"s, and she found out it was because of a chipped tooth. Do you have anything similar? I hope this helps. Good luck :D
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Jillianleab

#3 Post by Jillianleab »

I had a whistling "f" for a few days... I think my teeth moved and it stopped, because it's gone away now. Either that or my mouth found a way to compensate for it...

Hang in there, it will go away!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

Kimber

#4 Post by Kimber »

I don't whistle when I talk but I find that by blowing through my front teeth, I can make all kinds of interesting noises. It's driving the husband nuts! :D
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

perfectangel818

#5 Post by perfectangel818 »

Oh, my goodness! I thought this was just me. I have never been able to whistle (maybe due to tooth placement.. who knows) and now, i find the i whistle sometimes when i'm talking. It's wierd and kinda embarrassing, since i talk a LOT on the phone at work. So, no, you're not the only one, but I've just noticed this in the last couple of weeks, and I'm just short of 2 months in braces.
Stacy

JumpTheDitch

#6 Post by JumpTheDitch »

You're not alone Sarahm, I'm a member of the whistling club too :roll:.

I noticed it the day my braces went on, and six months down the track, I still whistle when I said 'f's and 'v's :oops:. If it's any consolation, I notice it less now, but I'm not too sure if that's cos I've gotten used to it or it's cos it's dissapted any.

To make things more embarassing, my job involves talking on the radio for 12 hrs a day, with every transmission beginning with "VK..". When you hear the whistle coming over the radio it sounds even worse :oops:.

No one else has mentioned it to me though. Whenever I've brought it up others have agreed that they can hear it, but no one else has ever brought the subject up. I don't even really notice it myself anymore.

Just another one of the joys of orthodontia! :D

missing_tooth

#7 Post by missing_tooth »

Ok, so it's not just me. For me it was the letter F. I can still do it if I try. I think I just learned not to do. Although at first I couldn't help it.

- Missing Tooth -

akabraces

#8 Post by akabraces »

I have a similar problem--but different : )

I don't whistle when I talk, but I find myself whistling more...
I can't figure out why...It's not like I whistle a tune for anything, I just will occassionally do a little whistle...my mother pointed it out to me...maybe it's a nervous thing but it didn't start until I got my braces...

Weird!

*aka

sarahm

#9 Post by sarahm »

Reading all the replies this morning really cheered me up -thank-you. It's so nice to know I'm not alone!
I've been trying to discover (instead of 'find') other words to replace words with 'f', 'v' or 's' -it's really hard (instead of difficult)!!! Especially because I work for a company which has Whistler in it's title and must say it 50 times a day!

My front teeth have moved and are less crossed so maybe that's the reason?

Sarah :oops:

BraceMD

#10 Post by BraceMD »

Oh my goodness, I totally know what you're talking about.

The letter "f" is a pain, because I whistle with it, sometimes quite loudly! It gets especially pronounced if I am nervous or doing something important, like making a speech at a meeting.

Unfortunately, my last name has an "f" in it (rhymes with differ) and everytime I'm on the phone, and I have to give my last name, it's ALWAYS misunderstood. Always. My f's sound like "s"'s.

So nice to be able to hear other people's stories of speech impediments whilst in braces! I seriously feel like I'm the only adult in the state of Ohio with braces.
Damon 3's 5/22/05
Unbraced 10/2/06

Permanant bonded retainer on bottom, bite positioner, and Hawley retainer at night...

Click www to see pics!

mtbrncofn

#11 Post by mtbrncofn »

So wait til you get retainers! :) I don't recall the whistling problem when I had my braces on, but holy smokes you turn into a whistling fool when it's retainer time. And it's noticeable too. My husband makes fun of me all the time. You'll just be chatting along and all the sudden ( it's the 's' that really gets you ) a huge whistle comes out.

I had it happen at a board meeting a couple of weeks ago, I was a tad bit embarrassed!
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

braces4me

#12 Post by braces4me »

:-1

Count me into the whistling club. I noticed it the first day I got braces and still do it 2 months later.

Flora2006

#13 Post by Flora2006 »

Same here...at first there were definitely some letters that I had trouble with...hence the whistling...but things got better with time. Drooling was also a problem at first...even to this day sometimes...quite annoying! ;)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

KittyW

#14 Post by KittyW »

holy smokes you turn into a whistling fool when it's retainer time
OMG you are NOT kidding! The first time it happened to me my husband burst out laughing and said "WHAT was THAT?". Has something to do with the Hawley retainer.

When I was braced, I couldn't pronounce "k"'s, as is breakfast. They sounded like "f"'s. My hubbie thought it was cute to imitate me by asking "What's for breffass hon?" :lol:
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

blondie111

#15 Post by blondie111 »

I whistle! I whistle! :roll:

It's my F's and V's..... my dogs love it when I whistle at them on purpose. Their little heads get tilted around looking at me wondering what in the world kind of noise I'm making!

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!