Also new

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

carzfrm60s

Also new

#1 Post by carzfrm60s »

I am a 46 yo male and have braces for my third time.Twice in my 30s.First time for 2 years,then again about a year later due to relapse.This time mostly due to lower front tooth that just won't stay put! Have 8 clear brackets on top & 8 metal on bottom.Dr.says 10-12 months, will be some form of elastics at some point.This time he will use permanant retainer on bottom,not sure about top.

carzfrm60s

#2 Post by carzfrm60s »

Not sure I'd call it dedication or fear of long term problems,but am glad ? to hear Dr is going to try perm retainer. Have heard and read pros & cons but just ready for teeth to stay put! Thanks for your post KK.You seem to be lots of help to everyone.

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

Good to hear you will have a permanent retainer. Hopefully you won't have another relapse. 3rd time in braces must be annoying...but you have to do what you have to do ;)

Good luck with you treatment and you will be out of the braces in no time. 10-12 months isn't bad at all.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Lee54

#4 Post by Lee54 »

Carzfrm60s, did you wear retainers after the previous treatments and still have relapses, or weren't you told to keep wearing them? I thought the retainers would keep things in place, but maybe not if work is done past childhood years? I'm new to this board also, older & don't have braces yet, and wondering if it's worth it all if it could relapse afterwards!

carzfrm60s

#5 Post by carzfrm60s »

Wore hawley retainers first for several years. They didn't hold bottom very well.Went back into braces for a year then did the clear retainers.About six months ago had to have 2 crows on bottom back couldn't wear retainer for about 3-4 weeks.Thats when the pesky bottom front tooth decided to show it's strength and moved forward again.Dr. tried to use a hawley to pull it back,but no go,so here we are again with braces! Hopefully with permanant retainer Third times a charm!

Kimber

#6 Post by Kimber »

Wow -- you've sure got a strong-willed tooth there! Good luck this time around!
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!