Braced today but not a pleaasent experience

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

emrar

Braced today but not a pleaasent experience

#1 Post by emrar »

Hey guys,

Great site here. Hope everyone is doing just fine. I am extremley lucky and have had my braces done by a student on the nhs. The thing is its a shoddy affair since i met my ortho he has been a joke not explained anything, told jokes talked on his phone etc, but i let that go. I had three extractions on monday which were horrid and another bad experience my dentist said i was asking to much, asking for a scale and polish and told me he did not want to do extractions as i had a crown it was a difficult extraction and the dentist advised me to brush the holes, i found out this was probably what disloged clot! I rang up the dentist the next day saying i was in tremendous pain and feared i had a dry socket..the nurses reply waas have you tried biting on a tissue? I said i was not bleeding she said you dont have a dry socket then, your fine. my friend found me in tears and rang the dentist who said that was nonsense and i should come in!! I also had a nance fitted three weeks ago. I have developed an infection and dry socket which is painful and last night over dosed on co proxamal by accident and had to go to hospital. I was told my brace should not be fitted whilst im in so much pain but as i guessed the ortho bonded me up today. He gave me no advice and was very unhelpful. my brace looks wonky too. so the thing is he said he would like to see me in six weeks, but they dont have an appointment for thhirteen weeks, this seems odd to me and i figure this is going to be the case every time s it has been thus far. surely he should not have taken me on if he ant fit me in?I have been on a waiting list for this treatment for eight years!. does this mean my treatment will take longer? I am wishing i never went ahead with it, what with the agony I am in its been the worst week my little dog was run over last week and is at home recovering with a broken pelvis, i gave up smoking and its my birthday saturday. I am not sure if my brace hurts as the dry socket outways andy other pain. too late to turn back now i guess. I am on metronadizole for infection which means i cant have a drink at my birthday party!!! eeek. well sorry to go on, but im sure some people here will understand...this seems to have been hell so far.

Jeneva

#2 Post by Jeneva »

emrar -
boy, sweetie! when it rains, it pours on you. I am sorry to hear that this has been such a fiasco - and i am very sad to hear of your doggie :(
Please feel free to come here to vent or for someone to lean on. I am wondering if your care could be transferred to someone who seems to be more concered with your care than lining their own pockets. But it does seem like you were pleased with the student who actually braced you. Good luck your that extraction site - io have never had a dry socket, but am aware that it is agony.
My prayers are with you!
Spacers in 17 June 2006
top braced 28 June 06
bottom spacers 6 November 06
bottom braced 16 November 06

emrar

Thanks Geneva

#3 Post by emrar »

I hope your feeling ok today?

Thanks for kind words, sometimes strangers are kinder than people you know!

The other thing i wanted to say is that I had three teeth removed and one of them is my bottem fron, it looks very odd, they say i will never have straight teeth but improved teeth. Does anyone know how much your face changes? my bottem lip is much bigger but i quite like that x

nita

#4 Post by nita »

Hello emrar..... I'm sooo sorry things have been so horrible for you!

Unfortunately I don't have much advice or words of wisdom for you since I have not been in your position. I do recommend that you speak with the schedulers at your ortho's office and ask them whether they are just busy in these couple of weeks or if you will always have to wait 13 weeks between appointments.

I've heard that extractions can sometimes "flatten" a profile, which is a good thing in my case because my upper lip sits further forward than my lower lip. That's not the case for everyone though, and most orthos take into account a person's profile before going for extractions. I'm sorry your doc isn't more communicative, as I would normally recommend that you ask him about how the extractions will affect your face structure.

As for the other issues, all I can say is hang in there! Maybe look into other options for docs? I don't know anything about the NHS, so I apologize if this isn't possible, but if there is anyway that you can request to continue your treatment with someone else, that may be good option as it seems your current providers leave something to be desired!
This board is a great place to come for support. I wish you the best and hope everything works out for you in the end. Keep us posted on further developments in your treatment.
Top brackets and spacers on 2/17/06
Molar bands on 3/6/06
Extractions and full braces 3/27/06
Update: 22-24 months total time in braces!

the_bufster84

#5 Post by the_bufster84 »

Hey, Sorry to hear about your problems. I also had a bad experience with my dentist/ortho in Birmingham. Just wondering who you are seeing, dunno if it might be the same one??? I managed to change mine a week before I was meant to get the teeth pulled as his behaviour was very offputting and arrogant. I now go to a very lovely lady in Harborne

Kirsty xx

Upper Ceramics

BeeBee

#6 Post by BeeBee »

Hi Kirsty

I'm also in Birmingham and was wondering if you could give me a clue about the orthodontist to avoid??

mostro

#7 Post by mostro »

I am very sorry to hear this happened to you.
When bad things happen I try to cope with them imagining tht something much worse didn't happen. The braces will definetly help you to improve your teeth and make your face and smile look better in the long run.

Good luck with all.

anotherbraceface

#8 Post by anotherbraceface »

It sounds like you've had some terrible experiences so far and what you've experienced should NOT be happening.

It sounds to me like your ortho's office is very busy, which means that there's probably a higher likelihood that they'll make mistakes. You have a right to insist that your ortho answer your questions, because if you know what should be happening, you'll be better able to spot when things are happening that shouldn't be. If they're not willing to be up front, then maybe you should ask to deal with another ortho at the nhs who does put you at ease (I'm assuming there's more than one?).

Good luck and I hope things get better for you soon :(

the_bufster84

#9 Post by the_bufster84 »

Hi BeeBee, how far are you along with your braces?? Well, the ortho I didnt have a very good experience with was a Mr Bhandal, I think he works out of a few dental surgeries in Birmingham and the Black country area. Im not saying hes unfit to practice (dont wana get in trouble), just that I personally didnt have a very good experience with him. I guess ortho people may have had good experiences with him. I now go to an ortho in harborne who is very nice. Where do you go??

Kirsty x