Elastics popping off/catching

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fins

Elastics popping off/catching

#1 Post by fins »

The longer I wear my elastics (I've had them on several months), size 1/4, the more I notice one side keeps "catching" on my brackets and I have to keep pulling it off. They also tend to "pop off" when eating now and they never used to. Has that happened to anyone? Is that normal?

It's not a big deal but I was just curious.

LoobyLou

#2 Post by LoobyLou »

Yes mine catch on the brackets sometimes and have also snapped and broken whilst eating a couple of times (ouch!!). I think it's to be expected really as they are just elastic bands and are surrounded by lots of metal and are being stretched all day and pulled around when eating.

It's probably just because your teeth have moved that this is happening more but don't worry too much - I'm sure there's nothing wrong.

LoobyLou

:D
Braced: 22nd April 2005
Type of brace: Damon 3 uppers and lowers
Estimated brace time: 18 months - now extended to approx 22 months

*Latest - now I have no idea how long it will be!*

eoberhauser

#3 Post by eoberhauser »

I also wear 1/4" elastics. It's funny, as I wear mine 24/7, and I eat literally everything in my path, my elastics only pop off eating one thing. At our farmers market, they cook toasted bagel sandwiches with fried egg and cheese. They are my most prized food intake. I cannot eat one without the elastic popping off. (I doesn't stop me from eating them, however.)

Erin

erica

#4 Post by erica »

I too found that my elastics popped off more frequently as my treatment progressed. But there was a period of about one month where nearly every time I opened my mouth, they'd snap...turned out there was a bad batch of elastics, and other people in my ortho's office had been complaining of the same thing. :)
Braced 10/13/04
Debanded on 07/11/06!!! :)
Currently in upper and lower Essix retainers 24/7.