Any nailbiters out there?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

krooner

Any nailbiters out there?

#1 Post by krooner »

I know it's gross but I've always bitten my nails. :oops: I go through periods where I stop but I always seem to go back to it, especially when I'm going through something stressful. I hate it and I wish I could stop. I'm hoping that if I get braces it will be impossible to bite my nails then! It would be a benefit, no doubt! Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks,

Gracie

CLAmom

#2 Post by CLAmom »

I have bitten my nails compulsively for most of my life. Terrible habit. After getting my braces on I've found it impossible to do anymore and I'm thrilled. I don't even think about it anymore and I have very nice nails now. This was one of two happy side effects of wearing braces for me. The other was losing 15 pounds! Good luck!! :lol:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

krooner

Cool...

#3 Post by krooner »

That's awesome news CLAmom! I hope I have those 2 side effects too!
Thanks

blondie111

#4 Post by blondie111 »

Yep, I have been a nail biter, pen chewer, you name it, I've chewed it up :oops: . Hate that habit. But since braces, I have nails now! I love it! I hope that being in braces for almost 2 years will permanently break me of that nasty habit. It is nearly physically impossible to chew your nails with braces, so better get stocked up on nail polish, krooner! :D

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

Jeneva

#5 Post by Jeneva »

same here - i'm a biter / chewer, though since i have the spacers in, my teeth are too sensitive to mindlessly nibble on my cuticles. I think onle i have the braces on, it will totally break me of the habit!! woo hoo!
Spacers in 17 June 2006
top braced 28 June 06
bottom spacers 6 November 06
bottom braced 16 November 06

Shelby014

#6 Post by Shelby014 »

I still bite my nails and i've had my braces for 9 months. My teeth never hurt though so i've been biting my nails through out my whole treatment.
O.o*Shelby*o.O

braced on:9-29-05
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/ ... /event.png[/img]
[/url]

jcdamon3

#7 Post by jcdamon3 »

I never bit my nails before just my cuticles. Now I can't do it. It can be a bit frustrating but I guess it is for the good.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

OnMyWay

#8 Post by OnMyWay »

It's definantly more difficult but unfortunately the braces haven't stopped me from that habit.

Stich

#9 Post by Stich »

I too have been a nail biter/pencil/pen chewer and stopped when the braces came on because of the discomfort and it no longer felt mindless. I have had braces for 7 months and just lately seem to be drifting back...I will catch myself with a finger in my mouth, nibbling (mindlessly). I also have just started feeling comfortable chewing gum again...so my chewing needs might be winning out.

Becky

Anticipator

#10 Post by Anticipator »

Meryaten wrote:I gave up biting my nails one year "for Lent". Never done it since. But I do sometimes crack a nail and need to bite it off so it won't tear off too far, or get a little bit of skin alongside the nail that needs to be bitten off - in my braces these have been impossible to deal with without nail clippers. Of course I do also have an overjet, so that makes it harder.
Yeah, I have the same issue. I'm not a nail biter but do sometimes need to remove an excess piece of something and I'd previously been able to use my teeth in a pinch.

Since my bite has opened up I'm S.O.L. on using the ol' standby. :(
Upper and lower metal braces
Estimated treatment time: 20 months

gracie381

#11 Post by gracie381 »

I still bite my nails unfortunately. I hoped I would have to quit, but my teeth usually aren't very sore except maybe a day after my adjustment, so it hasn't really affected me. If I don't bite them I pick at them. I guess I just have to be doing something. Better than smoking I guess!!
TEETH IN THE BEGINNING (OCT. '05)
TEETH NOW (Oct. 28, 2007)
Braced (uppers & lowers): 2 Years
Retainer Check: 1-18-08

SueFromNJ

A nice side effect!

#12 Post by SueFromNJ »

I used to bite my nails, but found it completely impossible when I got my braces. My teeth weren't strong enough to do it, and it hurt to even try! Now that I have them off, my bite is completely different than it used to be, and I can't really align them right to get the proper force to bite (not that I really seriously tried, fortunately!). And my teeth still feel weaker than they used to be, so I think my nice long nails are here to stay! :)
Debanded in May, 2006! Total sentence: Three years and two months. Now in hawleys which make me gag! Before braces, I had dracula fangs in their own rows, and everything else was crooked, crowded, with a cross-bite, too!

Idislikebraces

#13 Post by Idislikebraces »

Ughh I used to bite the skin around my nails nd when I got my braces I was like "NOOO!!!" haha it was like a stress reliever..lol But now I cant do it..so sad.. :( :shock:
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!

Silverwolftec2006

Nail Biting

#14 Post by Silverwolftec2006 »

Oh how I used to bite my nails when I got stressed for exams. Since I have gotten my braces in May of 2006, I haven't been able too. So now I have taken up the habit doing more home improvement projects when I get frustrated. Some times I will take my stress out on building a computer or some other computer related tasks.
Dare to Dream. Work hard to Succeed. Remember to smile!!
It makes people wonder what you are up to!

[/url]

krooner

Thanks everyone

#15 Post by krooner »

Wow, I see I'm not alone! Thanks for all of your feedback. I am hoping to conquer this bad habit that I've been fighting all my life! Good luck to all!

Gracie