Newbie finally gets his braces!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Epyx

Newbie finally gets his braces!

#1 Post by Epyx »

I can't believe I've finally done it, at age 39! I've *hated* my smile forever - a large gap between my front teeth made me feel very self-conscious. My regular dentists always suggested veneers, which was never going to be a great aesthetic solution.

I finally pressed my newest dentist hard for a good solution, and after the usual veneers hard-sell, he relented and gave me the name of the ortho he recommends. Wish I'd found this out years ago but oh well.

Had a frenectomy 6 weeks ago (ouch), and top row went on yesterday. Damon 3 on top, will have Damon 2 on bottom. Spacers and molar band shortly as well.

Can't believe how quick the installation was, no pain and no strange gluey tastes. Feels like I have had a hand-rail installed in my mouth, and the back wires are poking into my cheeks somewhat. Will I get used to it soon?

Few people at work noticed until I pointed the braces out. Funny how you think it's going to be hell and then it's no big deal. Really missing Twisties (an Australian snack food), but I suppose I'm not eating junk food, so that's good.

Anyway, I'm just so thrilled to have started this journey and joined the rest of you adults-in-braces! It's like a second adolescence in a way, isn't it :)

Epyx

Jeneva

#2 Post by Jeneva »

congrats on taking the plunge and i am glad that you found a solution that is a bit more suitable for you than the veneers. I am not one for artificial coverings on the teeth for aesthetic purposes...
Spacers in 17 June 2006
top braced 28 June 06
bottom spacers 6 November 06
bottom braced 16 November 06

fitchick

#3 Post by fitchick »

Hi Epyx,

Congrats on getting started on your journey. Perseverance with your dentists paid off too. Isn't it funny that you think everyone will notice your braces, and yet most don't until you point it out to them. I look forward to following your progress and if you need support, this is the best place for it.

Good Luck.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Epyx

#4 Post by Epyx »

Thank you both :) It's funny, I was just reading another thread where many people reported that they had resented their parents for not getting them into braces in their teens. I discovered recently that I had harboured a similar resentment towards my Mum. Poor Mum, I think she felt guilty about it ... she did the best she could at the time.

This is such a wonderful time in my life, full of joy, sorrow, heartache and hope. A lot is going on for me, but my journey in braces is an appropriate metaphor for me finally "growing up" :D

At last

#5 Post by At last »

Hi Epyx.... Thats so exciting that you got your braces on after all that time of wondering what to do!!! I for one am happy for you and cant wait to get mine on myself. Just wanted to wish you a warm welcome and say congrats on the braces!!

Epyx

#6 Post by Epyx »

At Last: Thanks for the warm welcome, and I'm excited for you too. These darn things are a bit uncomfortable, but it's quite a heady experience knowing that you have actually taken the first step on the journey towards a beautiful smile.

KK: Thank you too. I'm going to ring the ortho this morning about the pokey wire because it's making my life miserable. I've also noticed that the inside of my top lip is drying out and starting to ulcerate from where it touches (and gets stuck on) my braces. Ouch. I slept with a big piece of wax on last night, like it was a cheap mouthguard :)
Last edited by Epyx on Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

G'day and welcome, epyx, do I deduce that you're in Aussie? There are a few of us on this board. I'm in Sydney, where are you?

Epyx

#8 Post by Epyx »

G'day Lionfish! I'm in Melbourne, although I get up to Sydney sometimes.

My absolute favourite haunt in Sydney is a little cafe near the airport called Allpress. They roast coffee beans and bake bread on the premises! It's heaven. I'm actually guilty of spending the airfare just to visit them :)

lionfish

#9 Post by lionfish »

Epyx wrote:G'day Lionfish! I'm in Melbourne, although I get up to Sydney sometimes.

My absolute favourite haunt in Sydney is a little cafe near the airport called Allpress. They roast coffee beans and bake bread on the premises! It's heaven. I'm actually guilty of spending the airfare just to visit them :)
I don't know that cafe, epyx, but will check it out sometime.

momofbrock

#10 Post by momofbrock »

:wink: I catch myself resenting my parents for not fixing my teeth when I was a teenager and insurance would cover it! But... when my mom heard I was getting braces she asked "why? Your teeth aren't that bad!"

I guess if they're not your teeth, they're not a big problem for you. ha ha
And when the dentist told me my 3 year old has an underbite and may need braces when he is older I thought "oh but he looks beautiful the way he is!" so I guess I understand.
:D

nvcarissa

#11 Post by nvcarissa »

My daughter needed braces, but I was a single mom and just could not afford it. Same with me as a kid. I don't blame mom, and I hope my daughter does not blame me. She doesn't look like she will need surgery the way I have (she has her father's bite and my crowding) so when she is ready to start making monthly payments, I think she is going to pursue orthodontia on her own. I know she doesn't like her teeth.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Pirate Wench

#12 Post by Pirate Wench »

Welcome to the group :-1

Nice to see you were able to get your braces. It must have been frustrating to not be able to get your dentist to give you an ortho referal.

Well....you are on your way now and I hope you enjoy your journey. Get those wires fixed as soon as you can and your journey will be better!

Epyx

#13 Post by Epyx »

Got my wires trimmed yesterday ... so much better. The lady ortho I saw yesterday said she reckoned that gels and waxes were relieving but there was no substitute for the toughening up process. So I stopped by at McDonalds and grabbed a whole lot of salt sachets, and began the whole salt rinse thing.

I'm feeling better, just a bit worn out by this early discomfort and not being able to eat my favourite foods. I'll get there though, and I'm still excited!

Leslie022

#14 Post by Leslie022 »

Hi Epyx, congrats on getting braces though and not settling for veneers!!!Your case sounds similar to mine, however I haven't had the frenectomy yet. My ortho is going to wait until the end of my treatment. My gap closed up completely within 4 months. So hopefully you'll have some nice progress. If you want, you can check out my thread. I've include lots of pictures so everyone can see my progress!

Good luck!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Epyx

#15 Post by Epyx »

Leslie, so excited for you, esp. how the gap closed so quickly. My diasthema is approx 5mm - some of your photos are blocked when viewed from my workplace, so I can't tell how wide your initial gap was.

It's funny how we perceive ourselves - I always felt the gap took away from my "credibility", but I'm quickly discovering that a lot of people don't really even seem to care. We are perceived as much more than these minor imperfections in our teeth.

I had a difficult time trying to work out whether to have the frenectomy at the start or the end of the procedure. It's almost like there are two schools of thought on this. I presented that idea to my ortho (a***hole that he is) and he quickly told me there was only one school of thought - you get it done at the start so that the tissue doesn't get "crushed". I don't think this is the one and only answer.

I had it done in the chair rather than under general anaesthetic. I have no regrets about that, and it saved me a lot of money. I was in and out within minutes, and I went shopping at the market immediately after. It started to ache and hurt later, and I ended up taking a day off work when I felt woozy.

Your teeth are already looking fantastic Leslie, so I know you are going to be happy with the final result. Thanks so much for your support, it's nice to find someone else who started out with a gap.