In Between Appointments

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chris

In Between Appointments

#1 Post by Chris »

How many people call to make an earlier appointment because of bite issues (teeth hitting incorrectly), teeth tipping, pain, etc. and how does your ortho deal with the problem (make changes or just look and wait for regular appointment)? These would be issues OTHER than poking or loose wires or broken brackets which would obviously necessitate an emergency visit.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

If your seriously worried id call your ortho's office and ask to speak to either an ortho or a dental nurse about your case. You could even ask if you could call in one morning for a quick chat and if your appointment needs bringing forward im sure they'd arrange that for you.

My ortho told me if i ever needed my headgear looking at or anything to call and make an appointment so just go ahead and make one.

Good luck with getting the bite sorted.

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

I'm just seeing how common it is for people to call in to come earlier.

I've done it a few times but it seems they don't do anything major and just want to correct it at the next adjustment. Don't know if its just the process of the teeth going into position or whether the change in the arch wire made the thing worse. My ortho's office is so busy its hard even to fit in an earlier appt and they always seem rushed. Yeah, I've spoken to the ortho about it and he's nice about it but nothing changes. They overbook in my opinion.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

jcdamon3

#4 Post by jcdamon3 »

I did this twice. I told the ortho my tooth was hitting in the back and I couldn't bite down. He filed it down a bit for me. The other time I think I told him the hooks were killing me and he pushed them in for me. All other appointments have been more of the broken bracket type of thing.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Brandyleigh35

#5 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

I only go in as scheduled every 8 weeks unless I have a pokey archwire that needs to be clipped. My ortho doesn't really do anything, and won't change anything til the 8 weeks is up as that is how long it is supposed to take to make things move without rushing them. If I do come in early as happened one time when I was there getting my sons braces adjusted. He took the spring off my lowers as it was overcorrecting and I was still 6 weeks out from my next appt. He still had me keep my regular appt as scheduled. I have seen him have people make new appts though if they come in early, like...ok, you want your appt now, now you will wait another 8 weeks from today til I see you again.

Honestly, at my ortho's office I don't think it is too common for people to come in early for any reason (other than pokey wires.) His office is busy and it is not easy to change or reschedule appts.

Brandy

Henna_the_braceface

#6 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

my appointments are usually 6 weeks apart. but i have NEVER been unless i have been called for an appointment. this time ive had to wait 8 weeks for my appointment which is in a few days time.