Pregnant with braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

momof2girls

Pregnant with braces?

#1 Post by momof2girls »

Hi! I have had my braces on for about 2 months (full metal upper and lowers). I just found out that I am pregnant with my 3rd child! :D
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has been pregnant with braces and if it will be a problem.
Thanks,
Charmaine

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

Someone else on this board is currently pregnant and i dont think they've had any problems but let your ortho know just in case they want to keep an extra special eye on you.

Good luck and i guess congratulations are in order.

johnnys_angel

#3 Post by johnnys_angel »

I think you should be fine......CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D:D I am so excited for you and your family!!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Jillianleab

#4 Post by Jillianleab »

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I would let your ortho know, so they can be careful with anything they might use on you. I have read (not to get your hopes up or anything) that pregnant women often respond more quickly to treatment because of all the extra hormones surging. Don't quote me on it, because I'm not a doctor, but I've read it in a few places.

Good luck!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

fantasia

#5 Post by fantasia »

I wouldn't think it would be a problem. After all, they aren't using drugs or anything, just goot old fashioned torque. haha.
Braces on: September 9, 2004
Treatment time: 2 years

Leslie022

#6 Post by Leslie022 »

Congratulations!! Like everyone else has said, just let your ortho know!!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Pirate Wench

#7 Post by Pirate Wench »

Congrats on the new baby. I don't think being pregnant should make a big difference in braces.....just no surgeries while pregnant. I would make sure to tell the ortho so they can determine the best time for follow up x-rays. You won't be able to take pain killers after adjustments either.

Enjoy your pregnancy! :-)o :jump:

elissasmilz

#8 Post by elissasmilz »

I am not pregnant, fortunately since I am not married, but my sister got pregnant while going through treatment. There are no major problems with doing it, however, like others have shared, you should make your ortho aware of it. Your gum tissue tends to be a lot more tender adn susceptible through pregnancy, so he/she should be aware not to do anything that is going to add to that existing weakness.

momof2grlz

#9 Post by momof2grlz »

I checked the board this morning and found this post. Imagine my surprise at finding out I'm expecting! Just kidding - check out the similar user names.

Congratulations, Charmaine! Our names may be almost identical, but at my age I'm glad I'm only "momof2".

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

susieq182

#10 Post by susieq182 »

http://www.rgp.ufl.edu/publications/exp ... ract3.html

Karen posted this link a few months ago.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

ccmama

#11 Post by ccmama »

:-1 WOOHOO!!!!

I am so excited there is someone else going through what I'm going through! I'm new to this board too...

I've had my braces for almost 2 months.. AND a few weeks ago I found out I'm pregnant!!! My search for pregnancy and braces led me to this message board! Feel free to email me anytime!

It's great knowing someone else going through it too. My ortho said it shouldn't change anything of course it is a little bit of a double whammy... pregnant with braces.

brandee987

#12 Post by brandee987 »

I am not pregnant but we are going to ttc baby #2 soon. It will be weird being pregnant with braces, because I am 30 but look really young. I am sure I will get the stares like I got before when I was pregnant except probably double! LOL! Congrats to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ceramic Upper braces: November 29, 2005
Metal Lowers go on: March 7th, 2006

Freckles

#13 Post by Freckles »

I am pregnant too! Now I don't feel so crazy! I'm 20 weeks pregnant and been in braces 18 months.

Have had no problems and my ortho said he thought my teeth would move faster but unfortunately I haven't noticed that effect on my annoying extraction gaps - oh well :)

Congratulations and good luck :D
Ceramics top and bottom - 14th December 2004
They are off! 7th November 2007 (way longer than the estimated 18 months!!!
- Lower bonded
- Upper hawley but upper bonded to be placed on 30th April 2008
----------------------------------------------------------
~ Having a baby is giving your heart permission to walk outside your body ~
----------------------------------------------------------

Bracedapril05

#14 Post by Bracedapril05 »

I wouldn't think it would be a problem but let your Ortho know that you are pregnant. I had my braces put on Just after my son was born.
Goodluck with it all :D

bbsadmin

#15 Post by bbsadmin »

We do have an article about this written by a member who went through her pregnancy with braces:

http://www.archwired.com/Pregnancy1.htm
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!