Broken Bracket Question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jason

Broken Bracket Question

#1 Post by Jason »

Hey,

I have my first broken bracket after over 10 months..

My question is, is it okay to wait until my next appointment 6 days from now or is there some reason this needs to be repaired immediately? It's on my bottom 2nd to last braced tooth. The wire is still in the groove of the ceramic part of the damon 3 bracket, but the metal part is off and slides on the wire..it's not uncomfortable, but is it anything that needs to be fixed faster due to tooth movement or anything? Thanks.

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Call your ortho to see what is recommended.

Whirliebird

Broken Bracket

#3 Post by Whirliebird »

I also wear Damon3's and i have had a bracket sliding about on my wire and not attached to my tooth ( the one just before my bottom cannine) for the past 4-5 months, and each time i visit the ortho he says its no problem and hasn't done anything about it. So i don't think waiting a few days until your appointment would make much difference. I wouldn't worry about it to much.
Damon 3's top and bottom

nvcarissa

#4 Post by nvcarissa »

Whirliebird...do I understand you to say that your ortho has left a bracket unattached for 4-5 MONTHS? Even though you have been in for adjustments? How long does it take to reattach a bracket, for pete's sake?

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

nvcarissa

#5 Post by nvcarissa »

It sounds like his bracket is still just floating there though. Or is the bracket gone completely until Whirliebird's ortho decides to replace it? Maybe I am just misunderstanding the whole thing.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

jcdamon3

#6 Post by jcdamon3 »

After 10 months I finally had a damon3 bracket get loose. It was on my premolar. I would not have even noticed it except that I was flossing my teeth and it was moving a little. I was on vacation when I noticed it so when I got back I called the ortho. They got me in on the same day and fixed it. Let me give you some advice. GET IT FIXED RIGHT AWAY! He put the new bracket on and I was in a world of hurt! Either my teeth shifted in the week that it was loose or he repositioned that bracket - I don't know which. But in any case, you don't want that one tooth to move back and have to start all over again with it!

I have now been to my ortho three times in three weeks with resulting adjustment pain each time! Ouch! 1) Adjustment/repositioning ( ouch!) 2) Damon door was open on one tooth (ouch!) 3) lost bracket/reposition? (ouch!)
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!