PLEASE HELP!!! Transferring between orthos in OCA network

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

snazzynazzy

PLEASE HELP!!! Transferring between orthos in OCA network

#1 Post by snazzynazzy »

I am 19 and I am supposed to have my braces removed in 1 month and my brother still has a long treatment to go. My family is moving so we need to transfer to another ortho. I am really starting to HATE :evil: my ortho because he NEVER listens to me- i wore elastics in the triangular config for like 4 months, and one side was fixed and the other wasnt and he didnt even notice until i pointed it out! only then did he change the config. And I had an overbite and I was like, can u use elastics to fix it, and he sed it will be impossible to fix and that I already had a great smile. The only reason I got braces was because of the overbite, which was only 3 mm. Now, since im moving, he wants to finish my treatment before i leave, but I dont think my teeth are perfect yet, I think I still need 1-2 more months because there are gaps on one side but not the other. Also it seems like my molars on that same side are crooked, beccause my lower first molar knocks into my upper premolar, but none of the other upper molars touch the bottom. Basically, I think I need "finishing bands" that zigzag between the upper and lower molars and im done. But Im pretty sure he wont do that becuase he wants to deband before I leave, which is like in 1 month and he tells me all this bad stuff about transferring e.g. "they'll take A LOT of money".

OK, HERES THE MAJOR :?: -
My ortho is part of Orthodontic centers of america (OCA). These orthos usually have a little blue ring around the name of thier practice(thats their symbol if you will).
In the contract with my first ortho, it says on the payment paper-"rendered fee for services is payable if the patient stops treatment or transfers to an office not in the OCA network", and on another sheet it says "we allow 1 interoffice transfer for a fee of $50". The ortho says that means transfer to HIS other office (which is just in another part of town) and that I am just confused. he is saying that if I transfer, I still have to pay for the services rendered, even if I transfer to another OCA office. Basically, it makes no difference where I transfer, I still have to pay for everything he did. But whenI talked to an office in the OCA at my new location, and they said that with thier transfers, they have them pay a $50 transer fee and continue payments at the new office which i think is consistant with my old ortho's contract. I think he just wants to make a profit, because if i do an interoffice transfer, he'll have to split the profit with the new ortho. Does ne1 have any experience in transferring with OCA, and if so, is this guy taking advantage of me?