How often to change elastics?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jaynage

How often to change elastics?

#1 Post by jaynage »

Hello all!
Last week my orthodontist started me on elastic bands. He gave me a bundle of them and told me to wear them all the time, except when I am cleaning my teeth. He said I only need to change them once every 24 hours.

My question relates to this topic of changing. I've read that others change their elastics to new ones more often than once a day. Is there a reason why I should be leaving them for 24 hours? I'm quite the chatterbox, and I do notice that they lose their tension very quickly. I'm also wondering whether by only changing them every 24 hours, I'm potentially prolonging my period of elastic wearing. Surely if I was changing them more often, the added tension would make for quicker bite correction?

If anyone can help, please do!

Attagirl2

#2 Post by Attagirl2 »

hi jaynage. I change my elastics 3 times a day. That being said, we don't know what your orthodontist has planned for you. He may want slow movement, or your teeth may only need to move a small amount. There could be any number of reasons for him to have you change them only once a day. I would give his office a call and ask them, if it concerns you.

I know for me, if I eat with them in, they break and I have to replace them. I try to time my eating around when I am due to change them. Maybe this is why he only told you to change them once a day....? (just a thought)
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

nvcarissa

#3 Post by nvcarissa »

Go with what your ortho told you. My ortho had me in elastics that I had to change 4 times a day to force quick movement of a molar in time for surgery. Now that I have had my surgery, my oral surgeon cut my wires and put me in elastics that only need to be changed once a day, as these are not for movement but fixation of my jaw for a few more weeks. Sounds like your ortho is just working on slow movement, but you ought to ask what the elastics are for, and would it hurt to change them more than once a day. You may just be able to call the office for the answer to that question.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

jaynage

#4 Post by jaynage »

Thanks guys!
Stupid as it may sound, the idea of slow movement hadn't even really occured to me! I guess we are all just in a rush to get these damn things off and enjoy our beautiful smiles :D

I'll check with my ortho, but thanks for the tips!