most painful adjustment yet

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chr1ssy711

most painful adjustment yet

#1 Post by Chr1ssy711 »

Today was my one year adjustment! ahh!! its been a year! its crazy. any ways it was the worst yet. i actually cried!

My ortho is doing this strange configuration on the bottom where she bends the arch wire above the brackets on oneside...in the brackets in the middle, and then below the brackets on the otherside....i have a slanted bite. then she put power chains on the bottom and the top. The top arch wire she bent also weird (although it does hook into each bracket) to move some teeth upwards...when she was pushing the wire into the bracket on the topi felt like my teeth were going to crack off!! she kept saying sorry, and when i open my eyes her assistant has this look on her face like she knows this is hurting, and she got me tissues....ugh what we are willing to do for beauty.

So i have crazy configurations, power chain top and bottom and a "basketball" elastic on my left side (from the metal band to the "eye" tooth on the bottom.)

And its the 4th of July weekend! i guess its blender bbq for me! i am going on a cruise in 2 weeks and can afford to loose a few pounds anyways.

yuck..sorry i just had to vent.
Chrissy, 20
ceramic Braces
http://www.myspace.com/chr1ssy711Myspace
http://www.chrissytina.comMy Photo site

Leslie022

#2 Post by Leslie022 »

You poor thing, I'm sorry! I hope you begin to feel better soon! At least the cruise is 2 weeks away and not tomorrow! It will give you time to, hopefully, get over the pain! Good luck!!!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Pirate Wench

#3 Post by Pirate Wench »

:cry: That sucks :!: I am not looking forward to bends in the wires as my treatment progresses and this definately doesn't help.

I hope the pain goes away quickly and you can enjoy your cruise. :-88 As for the bbq....I think you may be right.....it will be a blender weekend. That doesn't mean you have to deprive yourself of blender drinks tho. :lol:

Feel better soon and have a great weekend.

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

Hi Chrissy,

I'm sorry to hear that your adjustment was so painful and hope you feel better soon. I bet that you will be fine on the 4th of July. Just reading about your adjustment was painful, I can't imagine how you felt. I'm sure that you were so afraid that your teeth would crack.

I try to make my appts. about 2 weeks before special events, just in case, but sometimes it can't be done and I don't want to delay the ortho treatment for reasons like this.

Keep us posted and take care.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Betty Bat

#5 Post by Betty Bat »

I feel your pain, Chr1ssy711, literally!

I've had a few adjustments when my doors wouldn't open and/or close and both the assistant and the ortho were pushing on my mouth harder and harder! Once I had to have a bracket changed because neither of them could get the wire to fit in. And, you're right, it's very scary to have these people pushing hard - you really do wonder if your teeth are going to break! I found that the pushing made my teeth and mouth sorer than the braces themselves ever did. But, the soreness did go away in a day or two, with the help of some Advil.

At my last adjustment (5 days ago), I had some of my sapphire brackets repositioned. The tool to take the old ones off required the ortho to push on my tooth a little. But, I'm so skittish now that I make at least a little squeaking noise when anyone starts pushing on my teeth.

And, I've had a "bent" wire also. It helped to move my front top teeth into a straighter line. It looked a little weird, but did a nice job. And, I had a reverse curve wire (I think that was the name) for a while - that one looked even weirder.

Lyn

#6 Post by Lyn »

Chrissy

I am celebrating my 1 yr. anniversary too!!! Yipee!! :banana:

I had "bends" put in my wires [May & June adjustments]. And you are right...it hurts! :x My teeth are very sore after they shove the wire back into place. My teeth feel like they are going to crumble (as they're pushing). I asked him last time about the removal of the brackets. I am really scared about that. I am afraid after all the work of getting my teeth straight that they will break/chip as they're removing the brackets?!? :cry:

The pain does subside after a day or two, though, so chin up.....it will all be worth it in the end!! :D
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7