HUNGRY!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Metal smile

HUNGRY!

#1 Post by Metal smile »

Hi,

I just had braces 2 days ago and was looking for a website which has adults wearing braces as well. I am 27 years old female and was feeling so insecure about it so you can imagine how happy I am when I came accross this page!

The process of having the braces on were not painful at all. I was really surprised. But the thing is, I am really really HUNGRY!

Will I ever be able to eat again? please tell me. Give me hope!

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

You should be back to eating normal again in no time. I know it seems hard to believe but yummy pizza, chips and being able to bite into an apple will all be possible.

Good luck with your treatment. In the mean time there is a list of soft foods to eat in the first few days on the main archwire site.

babymetalmouth

#3 Post by babymetalmouth »

Why dont you try, angel delight, yogurts, jelly, mushed up bananas, or my personal fave, an aero, let it melt on your toungue. Think baby food stuff things you would give to a small child or something. The only thing ive found is that if i use a metal spoon, i end up banging my tooth and it HURTS so now I have plastic ones! :oops:

Just eat everythign and anything soft! I had my braces put in on friday and Im not to bad, I can still *kinda* eat. But Ive only got my bottom ones atm.

You will get used to it though, give it a week or two and you wont be as bad, but genrally try to stick to the softer foods. I tried eating crusty bread rolls, I couldnt even eat them when they were cut up small!!!

Oh yeh, cut everything you eat up, like if you want a sandwich, cut it up into bite size peices becuase then you only have to chew a tiny bit.

I hope this helped and if this is any consulation, I sucked jelly through a straw..... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sam
Sorry for typos, I BLAME MSN!

Henna_the_braceface

#4 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

yep stick to soft foods and you'll be fine in no time! ice cream is good in this weather. :)

ShinySmile

#5 Post by ShinySmile »

Eggs, mashed potatoes, pasta, meatballs, ice cream (hopefully not all at once!)...stick to the soft stuff! 8)

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented

Joanna20

#6 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey, yes this message board is awesome. I would have never gotten braces if it wasn’t for this website, and God knows I needed them!
Anyways, are you having to much difficulty eating? I had it too at first but I can eat pretty well now, very slowly though. Maybe you should consider taking some vitamins in this period.
Best of luck,
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

Here is a page with suggestions. Also, please check out the "Newbie" section of the message board:

http://www.archwired.com/soft_foods.htm
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Kimber

#8 Post by Kimber »

Hang in there -- it will get better! I'm 3 1/2 weeks in and just had a piece of pizza -- cut with a fork into smaller bites, of course -- but pizza, crust and all, nonetheless! :dance:

I lived on oatmeal, mac n cheese, ice cream, yogurt, cottage cheese apple sauce and smoothies for the first couple of weeks. Mexican food is also good -- stick with cheese enchilladas, beans and rice. (Amys brand in the frozen health foods section are good!) Thin sliced lunch meat also works because you can tear it into small pieces and it doesn't require much chewing.
Spacers June 1, 2006
Braces on top June 8, 2006
Braces on bottom August 21, 2006
Only two years to go!

Metal smile

#9 Post by Metal smile »

thank you all for the support ! feel much better now.
yesterday at the meeting, the only thing I can think about Pizza and hamburders :)

Gennel

#10 Post by Gennel »

Congrats on getting braced! You will feel very strange when you put any food in your mouth but trust me you will start eating almost everything again soon! One thing I was afraid of eating was a regular salad! I was braced 3 weeks ago. I'm now finally biting down into a hotdog and burgers. The first 10 days I had to break my burger into tiny pieces with my hands...
I was nervous at first thinking that I might pop a bracket off. The only things I won't eat is popcorn and corn on the cob. I eat corn kernels though!

Gennel

pk_girl

#11 Post by pk_girl »

Soft foods like 2 minute noodles and energy drinks like Milo is my life saver. as well as icecream, just let it melt on your tongue (you could even put the milo on the icecream... just an idea). I can personally promise you that you will be eating like normal very soon (generally a week and a half after getting braced).