Lopsided Bite

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ucldbmine

Lopsided Bite

#1 Post by ucldbmine »

I just had braces (Damon 3) put on June 5, 2006. I am a clencher, was before I had braces put on but it's gotten much worse. I have one tooth in particular on the upper that I catch on the lowers which can be painful. My real concern is that I seem to be getting a lopsided bite. When I close my mouth only the teeth on the right side touch the ones on the left kind of float open. Is this a normal occurance during teeth shifting?

My ortho (Dr. Damon himself) did warn me that my teeth at times might appear to be getting worse not better but nothing was mentioned about not being able to bite down properly.

Any of you have problems biting or wear a guard at night to help with clenching?

anotherbraceface

#2 Post by anotherbraceface »

My bite is definitely changing too, and not for the better. I guess I should be happy that I'm seeing such changes this early (I'm only on week three of treatment).

Oddly enough, I'm able to close my jaws at night to grind and clench, but if I try during the day, I find it very difficult to close my jaw such that my molars meet. It makes eating a very slow, arduous process.

If I wasn't committed to treatment before, I am now!

Good luck with your treatment! :o)

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

I concur with my fellow posters but I would like to add one thing,
if one particular tooth is hitting another hard, then tell the ortho right away, even before your next appt, as he may be able to adjust the wire to move the tooth a different way. I've had that problem and am continuing to have those problems. When they move one tooth then another one can cause a problem. I was told by the office that towards the end of treatment its common for people to come in for more frequent adjustments because they are leveling the bite. Having a tooth hitting too hard can chip away at the opposing tooth (been there).

P.S. Remember: mouth closed, teeth apart. Don't keep bringing your teeth together to check your bite unless they are chewing on something. :wink:
It helps prevent grinding at night. You want the jaw muscles as relaxed as possible.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

JumpTheDitch

#4 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Don't keep bringing your teeth together to check your bite unless they are chewing on something.
Can't help it Chris! :oops: :lol:

It feels so weird to have my front teeth touch the way the do right now :o

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

I know, I give the advice, but I don't always follow it myself. :oops:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

JoeMama

#6 Post by JoeMama »

My ortho (Dr. Damon himself)
Wow - the REAL inventor of Damon braces! It's like being treated by a celebrity... How is that? Did you use him on purpose, or was it a coincidence?
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

ucldbmine

#7 Post by ucldbmine »

I had no clue.. Just moved here and was referred by the dentist I chose at random. Wasn't until the day before I got them put on I was researching the different types and saw his name and spokane washington lol. So complete coicendence.

Wonder if being treated by the man will make it any faster... hmmmm lets hope :lol: