I'm confused now

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ucldbmine

I'm confused now

#1 Post by ucldbmine »

a lot of people in here talk about extraction to make more room for teeth saying if you don't have extractions your teeth are fuller and move forward. Do they ever move to the back of your mouth? I have had all 4 wisdom teeth removed and have a ton of room in the back of my mouth and I guess I was under the assumption that my teeth were going to move backwards making more room for the crowded teeth in the front am I incorrect?? :roll:

JoeMama

#2 Post by JoeMama »

You should ask your ortho or dentist. I had mine removed because there wasn't enough room in the back of my mouth for them to be there "happily" long-term. But it didn't do anything for the crowding of my other teeth, meaning my teeth didn't move back. It might be different for other people though.[/i]
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

Attagirl2

#3 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi. As I stated before, I have been in Damon 3's for 20 months. What happened to my arch is that it widened across the front and across the back (more room from back right molar and back left molar - I hope that makes sense). As the arch widened, it made more room for the crooked teeth to be straightened. I also had some repox done on my front teeth as they were pretty mis-shapen.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

Gennel

#4 Post by Gennel »

The thing is that teeth can be moved forward but not backward. I dont really understand it because my crowded teeth will have to move alittle back in order to get straightened. I had two 2nd molars that had to be extracted because of decay and I was hoping that this was more than enough space. It is enough space but the space was too far back in my mouth.

Gennel

Indy

#5 Post by Indy »

My teeth on the upper left side are crowded to the point that they are a whole tooth forward. The upper right side is in correct alignment. So my ortho has/had me wear the pendex. This appliance is only moving the upper left molars BACK in my mouth where they need to be. Once I'm braced I will have a TPA to hold the molars in place while the other upper left teeth move BACK to fill in the space and get in their correct position.

My wisdom teeth have been gone 8 years and I didn't think there was much room, let alone a whole tooth size, to move my left teeth back, but I was wrong!!

So, I've never heard of teeth not moving backwards and I can't believe it completely because I see the large gap I've gotten over the last 4 months. :GapToothed:

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

I have got loads of space at the back of my mouth due to having wisdom teeth taken out almost 20 years ago, but quite bad crowding at the front. Teeth don't seem to move backwards by themselves, only forwards!

I will be having a nance appliance and then miniscrew implants to move the whole arch backwards. My ortho is hoping to avoid more extractions as provided my teeth move as they should there should be enough room for them.