Attn: People with an RPE! :)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ShinySmile

Attn: People with an RPE! :)

#1 Post by ShinySmile »

Hi all,

I just have a couple of quick questions about my RPE that maybe anybody who has had experience with one or knows about them could answer!

I know the RPE is supposed to widen my palate, and it's definitely working after only a couple of weeks...I have a pretty big gap between the front teeth! But I was picturing the RPE working by moving my front teeth apart and possibly crowding others around it...but it seems to be VERY easy to floss between all of my top teeth lately! Is this normal?

Also, I have gotten into the bad habit of clenching my teeth together because of the strange sensation of having molar bands...not really a grinding of the teeth, but just biting down really hard on things! Any tips from former grinder/clencher people on how to stop? :roll: I just don't want to do any damage to those molars!

Thanks for the help!

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented

KJM

#2 Post by KJM »

Hi ShinySmile!
I didnt have an RPE but my son has one. (as you can see on my ticker)
The RPE widens the palate, in my sons case it pulls the palate apart ( it is two bones held together by some cartilage) then you keep it on to retain it and allow new cartilage to refuse the bones. The back teeth dont get crowded, they just move the two bones apart. Does that make sense?

As far as the clenching, I have noticed when I first got braces I did this and also again when i first got elastics. I think its a reaction to the pulling forces and once you adjust it should stop. If not talk to your ortho about it and he can give you a mouth guard or something to stop it.

Good Luck! :D
~*~ Kim ~*~

Next Appointment #14: Feb 26,2007

babymetalmouth

#3 Post by babymetalmouth »

I think this is what I have... I have found that my back teeth dont touch but when I take it out my mouth clenches and my back teeth are so tightly locked, and I dont even realize Im doing it.

I dont think I should do it.. I sometimes do it when im asleep too, I take it out without noticing and end up clenching my teeth and I wake up with jaw ache.

I have some removable pink thing on my top teeth atm It expands and stuff, I dont know what it is, but It makes me clench lol!
Sorry for typos, I BLAME MSN!

pk_girl

#4 Post by pk_girl »

I had a RPE and have been RPE free for 5 months. It is normal to get a big space between the teeth, I could fit a $2 coin between my teeth and it is the thickest coin in our currency. Unfortunately I cannot help you with the grinding as i rarely keep my teeth together, they are always apart even with eating!