Can't Floss

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ucldbmine

Can't Floss

#1 Post by ucldbmine »

Since I had my braces put on I have 2 teeth I can not floss (same tooth upper and lower) I can't tell if it's cement from the putting on the brackets or if my teeth just moved closer together.. Anyone have problems flossing certain teeth throughout treatment? I also have one heck of a time flossing my rear molars on all sides have problems getting the floss threaded through the wires not enough room to manuver.. any tips?

skittley80

#2 Post by skittley80 »

Hey...My teeth too are VERY crowded. I don't have braces yet, but my dentist said for me to floss only in the areas i'm able to. And to use the water pik in addition to flossing to get the food out of areas that the floss couldn't reach. Seems to be working pretty good for me.

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

What kind of floss are you using? That can make a huge difference.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

CLAmom

#4 Post by CLAmom »

There's lots of places I find impossible to floss as well. I use a dental pick after meals & before brushing and also a Waterpik but not as much as I used to. The Waterpik gets out stuff even after everything feels clean--it's amazing.

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

ucldbmine

#5 Post by ucldbmine »

I have tried a few types of floss the first was the colgate glide or whatever the one is with the single strips of floss with one end hard. I finally settled on those loops you put the floss through I end up tying one end of the floss to the loop. I decided on this one for a couple reasons 1 the hard part is longer and 2 the hard part is harder lol. I think one of my biggest problems is that I never used loose floss like this before being braced I always used a reach flosser and I have problems getting the angle correct.

pk_girl

#6 Post by pk_girl »

I dont use floss, so I wouldnt be able to help you, but is is at ALL possible to slide the floss between your teeth? even a little bit?

ucldbmine

#7 Post by ucldbmine »

not around these two teeth.. I can't get the floss in at all. I thought maybe they got cement in the crack or something I never had problems flossing them before I got the brackets put on.

So if you don't floss what do you do? I always thought flossing was a big pain in the rear but now that I have to weave around the wires and it takes half the night I wish I didn't have to! :roll:

jcdamon3

#8 Post by jcdamon3 »

I agree totally with KK. Try the crest glide floss if that still doesn't work call the ortho. I had some glue between my teeth and had the assistance remove it the other day. I didn't see how those teeth would ever come together without removing that glue first. If your teeth are really tight there is no doubt things will start moving around. I have gaps between almost every tooth at this point. My 11th month anniversary is today I think so I am hoping that very soon they will start closing gaps and finishing things up!

And yeah, I like the thing about flossing is easier than dealing with losing the teeth. I agree!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

JeepGirl

#9 Post by JeepGirl »

Try using Crest Glide Floss. My teeth were very crowded as well before braces. After I got my molar bands on I couldn't floss for about 2-3 days which drove me nuts! But my teeth did shift and then I could floss just fine. If after a few days you still can't floss I would call the ortho to see if there is any cement blocking your ability to floss.

Good Luck! :wink:

princesspenelope

#10 Post by princesspenelope »

For the first four weeks, I couldn't floss between two of my teeth either (the floss kept breaking when I forced it through with floss threader), after two days I figured out it was because the cement covered it. So I used the cheaper Walmart brand floss, which is thinner, for that spot. Now the cement is slowly coming off, and I can use the regular Oral B floss for those two teeth also.
May 3, 2006 - Upper and lower ceramics
March 2007 - Elastics for overbite (changed 3 times a day)

ucldbmine

#11 Post by ucldbmine »

So I went and saw Dr. Damon today and sure enough my teeth were sealed together.. It wasn't cement as I first thought but the sealant that they put on your teeth before the braces go on seeped into the cracks. Hopefully they'll move faster now that they aren't pasted together too lol :lol:

Sheree

#12 Post by Sheree »

I too have been having problems flossing the rear top molars. It's hard getting the proper angle to get the floss in (I use SuperFloss). I am VERY determined to not miss a night of flossing, so I try and try again, often getting so frustrated I'm almost in tears. The first night I got my tops on I think it took me like 10 minutes or more to floss. The bottoms are a breeze...It's just those top rear molars. I'm thinking about getting a Waterpik, seriouslly!!

ucldbmine

#13 Post by ucldbmine »

everyone talks about this waterpik is it like a hummingbird? I don't see how it could replace flossing and getting under the gums. If it does though I'm going to have to rush out and buy one it takes me 10 minutes to floss my teeth as well simply because I can't reach those top rear molars to get floss weaved through. Ugh only 12 more months of this to go.