getting braced at 45

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Izzy

getting braced at 45

#1 Post by Izzy »

Hi to all:

I am getting braced on Wednesday and am scared and excited all at the same time. My dentist finally talked me into getting my teeth fixed since my teeth have moved significantly over the last five years. My little bit crooked teeth have become very crooked teeth.

I have to admit that I am most apprehensive about getting the "turbo" on my front teeth -- my teeth overlap and my top teeth would hit the bottom braces without it. I cannot imagine chewing without my molars comming together!

Glad to to found this site with so many people sharing the adult braces journey. I've picked up lots of great information by reading the site and the posts.

Lynne

jbjalways

Hello

#2 Post by jbjalways »

Hello,

I am almost 34 and just got braced on Friday. I have a deep bite and they had to put to bite blocks (I think that's what they're called) on top of two bottom teeth one on each side. So no molars or teeth touch only the one build up on each side.

I'm having a hard time finding stuff to eat since I can't chew at all. My ortho won't commit to how long I need those on, but I am dying to get them off and it's only the third day.

Maybe someone on here can help with more info. Just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Frances

7/7/06 Damon 3's on top, Damon 2's on bottom
03/18/08 Naked

Granola

#3 Post by Granola »

Hi Izzy,

Congratulations on your upcoming brace date!

I just had bite turbos placed on the backs of my upper front teeth three weeks ago, and I can honestly say that I hardly notice them at all now. :thumbsup: The first few days they felt very odd, but they didn't cause me any discomfort as they are very smooth. I was a little worried when they told me that I needed them (and the ortho said that I would hate her for a week :lol: ) but they have been fine. I think they sound and look worse than they are (I remember seeing photos of them on this site and thinking :shock:).

This type of technology was not available when I first wore braces in my teens. I can't remember if I read the following here, or my ortho said it, but I heard that they are called turbos because the work they accomplish in your mouth is much faster than if they weren't used, if that makes sense. Mine are meant to open up my bite, allow for eruption of various teeth (bicuspids and molars), and allow my lower teeth to move back so that my upper teeth (overjet) can then be reduced, if I understand it all correctly.

Don't worry! The turbos are really okay.
Last edited by Granola on Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uppers placed 2/8/06--Inspire ICE ceramics
Lower (stainless) placed 2/23/06
Treatment time: 17 months (estimated was 12-18 months)
Debonded: July 11th, 2007
Next appointment: June 2008 for retainer & nightguard check

Izzy

#4 Post by Izzy »

Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm very glad to hear that bite turbos can be tolerable over time. I'll post after the big event tomorrow. I have my lip balm and am ready to go.

I even stopped on the way to work for a bagel. No more biting into hard bread for awhile.

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi Izzy
Good luck for tomorrow. I'm almost 41 and am going to get braced on Friday. I think I will be having bite turbos too so I'll be interested to hear how they feel for you.
Lisa

fitchick

#6 Post by fitchick »

Hi Lynne,

Well Done on making the decision to take the plunge. I'm only 5 years behind you, and braces are for everyone, no matter what age we are or think we are! It's been one of the most positive decisions of my life. I'm sure you will notice changes very quickly too.

Good Luck for Wednesday and keep us up to date with your progress.

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Betty Bat

#7 Post by Betty Bat »

Howdy,
I got my braces at age 53. My teeth were moving around as I got older also. Although I don't have the same apparatus that you have (bite turbos), I'll offer my support and encouragement anyway!

Waddles

It was better than I thought

#8 Post by Waddles »

Hi, nice to see you on here, im new here too as only has my braces on for two weeks. one tip I would give would be find out as much as you can about the process before you go - then when they start fixing the brace you know exactly what they are doing. I found a website on a random search i did which has a video on there with answers and examples to loads of questions. hope it helps

http://www.smilesbysutherland.com/lifeWithBraces.html

With regards to not chewing, my dentist didnt warn me about it at all but my top incisers hit the brace on the bottom row so chewing is imposible as my back teeth dont touch together. bit of a shock at first but it gets better. ive now been finding lots of different things to eat. started off with mashed potato, mashed carrot and sweed, mashed advocado (good energy food) soups - this was mainly what I had for the first week but now things have settled down ive found I can eat tuna jacket potatoes, any spagetti - ie carbonara/bolognese - just chop it up really small..

hope this helps and good luck
x

Lyn

#9 Post by Lyn »

Congrats!! You are going to love your smile once it is all said and done!

I just had my one year anniversary - the time has flown by!! I just wish I had done this 20 yrs. ago (I too am in the over 40 club). I saw a friend today at the pool who hadn't seen me since last summer and could not believe my smile/teeth, etc. She was really impressed!

I am so proud of myself for making this decison, for doing something good for myself [not to mention my health]. Your first few days in braces your teeth will feel a little tender, so stock up on yogurt and nice soft things you can mash with your tongue (or mash it before you put it in your mouth). One you get used to it, it gets a lot easier!! Trust me!

:pinkbraces:
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

Gennel

#10 Post by Gennel »

Congrats on getting braced soon! I was probably the biggest coward with dentist or orthodontist. At 36 I finally decided to do this and I'm glad I finally got the courage to see a dentist/orthodontist. I would have lost my teeth by the age of 45 ! I had mild/moderate perio disease and got treatment for it. You will be so proud of yourself that you did this. I have a lot of crowding on upper and lower.Please post pics when you get braced ! Take tylenol about 40 minutes before they put the braces on just to help with tenderness you may or may not feel the first day. Do plenty warm salt water rinses everyday.

Gennel

Geri

#11 Post by Geri »

I don't know if this will help - but knowledge is power right? This is my 'just missed having a bite blocker' story....My ortho offered me the option to have a bite blocker or not when my uppers went on. She said that as I was an adult I could be trusted to be careful and not to bite the bottom ones off - or at least more trusted that her usual teenage clients. We agreed to see how it went without them and if I bit them off I could always come back in and get them fitted. Well, I couldn't close my mouth for several days and it was a mushy food diet for me. Then one night in the first week I woke up and my back teeth were touching slightly - my lower jaw had totally shifted position. It ached for a day or two and felt weird but then it began to feel normal and gradually my teeth came together in the back - over a two week period or so. I was concerned that this 'jaw shifting' was not healthy but was assured by my ortho that it was totally normal. Anyways, that's my story and I hope that if you do get bite blockers that you get used to them quicker - I'm sure you will given what I have read on this board. :D
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!