Wires with hooks added on to brackets for elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

starzin

Wires with hooks added on to brackets for elastics

#1 Post by starzin »

Hi! I hope everyone is having a good summer.
I posted this before but I didn't really get any responses.
I had two wires with hooks on each side put on the archwire so that I could wear elastics.
Does anyone else have this and if so any suggestions with dealing with them....the wire keeps popping up and out and drives me nuts!!! :cry:
Thanks.

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

I've got two wire ties made into loops for my elastics and i cant say i've ever had any problems with them. I've normally had ligs ontop of the ties but this time they didnt put any on and i was worried about them falling off as they are quite loose but all seems to be good.

Speak with your ortho and maybe they can twist them tighter to make things a little easier.

KriegeR

#3 Post by KriegeR »

The last archwire I had fitted has two of these hooks, which are located on the brackets next to my upper canines. I also have hooks on my molar bands, top and bottom.

When the new 'hooked' archwire was fitted, my ortho told me that this was the last archwire before my surgery, so I don't really know what to expect. I certainly hope the surgery is done this side of Christmas, because I am due to go skiing in January! :shock:

fins

#4 Post by fins »

Did your hooks get added to the archwire or the bracket? I had some added to the bracket and they haven't caused any slipping of the elastics. Maybe your ortho could adjust the hook for you. I noticed one of mine is sort of bent onward, so maybe your ortho can put a bend in the hook for you.