Headgear tubes & no headgear?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jaswi

Headgear tubes & no headgear?

#1 Post by jaswi »

I've got headgear tubes on the #6 teeth on each side from the front. There are no plans for headgear that I know of - in fact when my ortho at final consult was going through the little slideshow that shows different things about orthodontics he just skipped through headgear and said I wouldn't have to worry about that. So I'm wondering why I have to endure these gigantic annoyances, if I'm not going to be using them? Is there something else they are used for? I think the one on my left side has cement on the inside of it too, because I can't fit a toothbrush bristle through it.

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

As far as im aware the molar bands dont come without the buccal tubes. I have them on all of my bands, even on the bottom where there will be no appliances. To be honest i dont really find them that much of a pain.

blondie111

#3 Post by blondie111 »

I have them too on all my bands, and there is no mention of any headgear for me either..... so it must just be a "standard" on all molar bands. They are rubbing a little bit now on my tongue, but other than that, they don't really bother me. Good luck with your treatment! :wink:

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

jaswi

#4 Post by jaswi »

well I have 3 molar bands on each side, and only 1 on each side has a tube.. which is why I wonder.

Gottaplaygamz

#5 Post by Gottaplaygamz »

The 2 molar bands that I have on the top have buccal tubes with little hooks above them and the bottom bands just have hooks for elastics but no tubes. I'm not sure why, but I did read somewhere that it is easier for the ortho to just use the same bands for different uses . The tubes can be annoying at first due to rubbing, but your cheeks will toughen and get used to them. Just rinse often with salt water it really does help.
Good luck!

Full Metal Uppers and Lower on June 16 2006
De-Braced December 2008

KriegeR

#6 Post by KriegeR »

I have two different types of molar bands on my teeth, and one type doesn't have the tubes, (these are installed on my back molars). The ones in front DO have the tubes, but I have been told that they won't be used throughout my treatment.

As for cleaning them, I use a fine TeePee interdental brush to clean the tubes out. A friend of mine who had braces when he was younger, told me that if you don't clean the tubes with 'something' you can end up with a build-up of tartar in the tubes, which is a pain to get cleared. It sounds drastic but when he experienced this, he said he had to spend 20 minutes with a bent paper clip to clear out the tubes.

Interdental brushes are definitely your best bet. If you can get hold of TeePee wherever you are, go for the blue ones, (x-fine). They seem to fit the tubes perfectly.

josephine

#7 Post by josephine »

If they really bug you, you can ask to have the tube parts removed. It's kind of a hassle with lots of clipping and sanding of metal, but it's an option.

NotBob1

#8 Post by NotBob1 »

I have molar bands on all molars and I don't have any headgear tubes, weird. I do, however, have more hooks and curly Q looking wires on them than I would like to have, those tend to hurt a little.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.