Pleased with my brace ... but the gap is back!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

principessa

Pleased with my brace ... but the gap is back!

#1 Post by principessa »

Hi Guys! What a fabulous site! I'm 32 and have decided to get braces after years of being self conscious about my teeth. As a child I had a dummy which made my mouth change shape so that when my 2 front teeth grew, they were sticking out slightly and so they grew with a gap as the other teeth weren't there to hold them in place (if you know what I mean!) Anyway - after years of the old type plate braces, the dentist gave up and filled in the gap for me as the teeth would not close up. I have lived with this filling for 20 years and although my teeth aren't too bad it means the 2 front ones looked much wider as they should becuase of the extra bits.

Anyway - I decided to get them done (even though everyone has told me what lovely teeth I have(!) but now that they are on I am devestated becuase the dentist had to get rid of the filling obviously to enable the teeth to close. IT LOOKS AWFUL!!!!!!! ...... my gap is back! :(

I am sooooo self conscious which is a shame because actually the brace isn't very visible at all (as I have a small mouth and he has put the brackets quite high up on the tooth). How long do you think I will have to wait until the gap closes????????????? I can't not talk for 2 years??????
Some reassurance pleeeease!!!!
Many thanks
P xx

Sheree

#2 Post by Sheree »

I can understand feeling self-conscious. Ever since I got my top braces put on last week I've pretty much felt ugly. I notice I tend to hide my teeth sometimes. But in time I'm sure that gap will start closing and you'll starte feeling much better about things! This is just an adjusting period..you'll get through it!

principessa

#3 Post by principessa »

Thanks for your advice guys - I know what you are saying but I really feel so self conscious - as well as the gap becuase I've got such a small mouth the brace has really changed the shape of my mouth so I look like I've got what's known as a "trout pout"!!!!!! I really hope that the gap closes soon but I will ask the ortho how long before it closes(although he's not the most forthcoming with information .... and I'm scared what his answer will be in case it's not good!)

My husband says I'm making a big deal out of something that hardly anyone will notice - but I'm not convinced, but as you say I can't let it ruin my life!
Thanks again
P x

principessa

#4 Post by principessa »

Thanks Lucyloop! I was surprised at how many brits are on this site !!! :P I'm so glad that I found this site though - it's fab!Appreciated your comments - it's all so weird at first isn't it - but I'm sure I'll adjust. I've got to face the world sometime - gap or no gap!! I might try and take a photo and that will encourage me when I see movement!
I'll keep ya posted!
P xx

principessa

#5 Post by principessa »

Hi KK! I've taken your advice and managed to take a few shots of my teeth - it was quite funny really as I did it myself (as I was too self-conscious to let my hubbie do it!) so I had quite a few pictures of my nose or my chin!!! After about 20 tries (thank heaven for spams!) I got a few decent-ish ones - if I'm brave enough I might upload them!

Thanks again!!!
P xx