Teeth Sensitivity

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Way Too Old For This

Teeth Sensitivity

#1 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Has anyone noticed that their teeth are less sensitive since getting braces? I'm not referring to the pain from moving teeth, I mean pain from hot or cold substances touching teeth. When I first got my braces my teeth were so sensitive that I couldn't hardly stand it when they used the air to dry off my teeth. Now it seems like nothing bothers them. I can brush with cold water now, bite into ice cream bars, etc.

I wonder why that is. Could it be that I'm not brushing them as hard because of the braces? Or could it be that I AM brushing them so much more? I use the same kind of toothpaste I used before braces.

My orthodontist mentioned to me today that I have "matured" as a patient. He said I used to clench my hands together and flinch a lot. I said maybe it is true, I'm more used to having all kinds of things shoved in my mouth, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that my teeth aren't sensitive anymore.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

KriegeR

#2 Post by KriegeR »

I think I can say that I have gone the other way. I didn't have a problem with sensitivity before my braces were fitted, but I certainly do now!

In the gym where I go, they have drinking fountains that dispense ice-cold water. I have to fill a water bottle all the time, even just for a sip, because my front teeth have become sensitive.

As I haven't had this problem before, perhaps it's just normal sensitivity, but it certainly makes using a drinking fountain impossible. I don't seem to have a problem with hot things though, which is odd! :shock:

turrrtlelove22

Sensitive Teeth...0_o;;;

#3 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

I had jaundice as a baby and had to go back in to the hospital for a while. they put me under those lights and put this thing over my eyes. Someone told me thats why I have glasses now (I don't believe that). Anyways I do think it has something to do with me being sensitive around the face and head. I don't like water in my face. Swimming and glasses are an annoyance. My bottom teeth in the front are very spacey and sensitive. I have to be careful what I eat or they will feel like they are on edge. I havent gotten braces yet but when I do I know its not going to be a good feeling.>O<;;;

Chris

#4 Post by Chris »

Two words of advice: Sensodyne toothpaste :D
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

turrrtlelove22

#5 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

Thanks Chris should I start now? Even though I know I don't have braces yet and proly will not for the next month or 2?

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

Thanks Chris should I start now? Even though I know I don't have braces yet and proly will not for the next month or 2?
Why not? I use it most of the time.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

rdms_girl

#7 Post by rdms_girl »

Ouch - my teeth are even more sensitive since I started this journey. I used to have sensitivity only to cold, now it's both cold and hot.
I am swtiching to Sensodyne toothpaste for the time being and I hope it works :-}

Dramagyrl

#8 Post by Dramagyrl »

I alternate a sensitivity toothpaste, so that might be part of it too, but I have also found my teeth are less sensitive to temperatures. Ice cream, etc. used to be a greater challenge to eat.
Not to be outdone, I have found myself very intolerant of moving pains. Luckily, I can handle cold and hot packs close to my face now :)

hippyhippo

#9 Post by hippyhippo »

Actually, I've had the opposite experience. Before braces my teeth were never sensitive to cold, heat, anything. Slurpee headaches? Sure, but teeth? Never!

Now, I've had to be careful when eating or drinking anything cold because once in a (thankfully rare!) while I'll nearly have my socks knocked off from the pain. It seems to come and go, and the teeth which are sensitive to the cold are always changing. So hopefully it's temporary!

Izzy

#10 Post by Izzy »

Pam: I'm glad to read your post. My teeth are also less sensitive since being braced. Very odd, but before being braced my teeth tended to be very sensitive to cold. Now I too can brush with cold water with not problem.