Frenectomy question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ShinySmile

Frenectomy question

#1 Post by ShinySmile »

I know a lot of people have to have a frenectomy while closing a natural gap, to remove the tissue/muscle that separates the teeth...but what about expansion by using an expander?
I'm assuming you don't have to get one done if you do not have a natural gap, but does closing an expansion gap quickly cause the muscle to swell or anything?

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented

rsprouse

#2 Post by rsprouse »

A frenectomy is often used with low attachment frenums, meaning that the insertion is more incisal and closer to the roots preventing a diastema from closing since the frenum is inhibiting movement of the teeth. If you now have a diastema from a palatal expansion and did not have one before then you will most likely not need a frenectomy. If you need one they are really not a big deal. The appointment basically goes like this:

Doc: "Hi, how are you"
<Small>
Doc: "I'm gonna numb you up now"
<Small>
Doc: "Open"
<Snip><Snip>
Doc: "OK, all set, don't forget to pay the receptionist on the way out. Have a great day!!"

Good Luck,
Rory

ShinySmile

#3 Post by ShinySmile »

yeah, I don't think I'll need one, was just wondering...I figured it wasn't too bad! Thanks Rory! :wink:

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented

emmyv05

Normal?

#4 Post by emmyv05 »

I have a question, is it normal to have it done after braces? I'm not too worried about the process, but I am getting it done after I get my braces off, it doesn't seem very normal...