Orthodontist too busy for questions, is this common?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Painfulvanity

Orthodontist too busy for questions, is this common?

#1 Post by Painfulvanity »

Hi all,

I am sure that I have a big 'D' for difficult on my chart at the orthodontist's office. The reason is because I ask a few questions about treatment, etc. They act as if I am asking for something totally inappropriate. I am 40 yrs old and maybe they are used to dealing with children who don't have the confidence to ask that their concerns be addressed.

I have had two adjustments and after the second one my bottom teeth really flared out and almost come out further than my top teeth. I called the Dr and left a message that I wanted to have a few minutes before the appt to discuss my progress/concerns and got a call from her assistant who said she really didn't have time for that. I only wanted 5-10 min.

They finally agreed that the Dr could spend 5 min talking to me. They don't tell me what to expect, inform me of what they are doing and don't reassure me that all will turn out okay. I have not encountered this 'rushed' treatment with other Dr's or dentists for that matter.

Is it all about churning out as many patients as possible? I am paying a lot of money for this treatment and asking for 5 min seems to them to be some excessive request.

The assistant I spoke with said something that struck me as absurd, she said "I'll be honest, you are one of the few patients here who wants to be informed about what we're doing to you."

HELLO? What is wrong with this picture?? How many of you encounter this? I find it all absolutely ridiculous. I shouldn't have to feel stressed about asking a question and then be treated like a trouble maker for doing so. I am sure they think I am high maintenance for wanting to be informed and involved in my treatment.

I feel stressed enough going in for an an adjustment without this added stress.

Frustrated,
Cindy

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

Personally, I think its common because they overbook their schedule.
I asked the receptionist if I could speak with the ortho before hand and was given the green light. He realizes that the patient load is just too great at times and they don't have time to talk much. You can however, make a SEPARATE appointment in between your regular ones JUST TO TALK. I don't see why they wouldn't accomodate you. Or ask for a longer appointment just for that purpose.

You are right about the difference between kids and adult patients.
Kids just want to get out of there, adults ask questions.
Personally, I don't believe what the assistant told you is true (that you are the only one who wants to know what they are doing to you). She just wants to discourage you from asking questions and taking up too much time.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

I think they probably are overbooked, but that's no excuse for not making a bit of time to answer your questions, especially if you are paying for treatment!

My ortho seems genuinely pleased that I am taking an interest in my treatment and said it's actually quite unusual for somebody to ask him things. The 3 times I've been he's always asked me if there's anything else I want to know before I leave. He also said I could phone if I was worried about anything.

Maybe you are just unlucky with yours Cindy, but I'd ignore that assistant trying to put you off and next time you go, ask the questions before you get in the chair! That way your ortho can't put you off.

jcdamon3

#4 Post by jcdamon3 »

It seems all too common on this board that folks dislike their ortho for one reason or another. The number one complaint is probably that the ortho is not communicative. There is also alot of complaining that the ortho does not have time and is overbooked which also leads to them being non-communicative. We also get alot of posts here about rude assistants. I think for the most part people like their orthos but the people who like them aren't speaking up as much.

Here is a good thread:

viewtopic.php?t=9295&postdays=0&postord ... o&start=30

The general advice seems to be that you should sit down and have a heart to heart with the ortho. I mean, I wonder what he would say if you told him you just didn't have time to write the check this month? :-)
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

fins

#5 Post by fins »

Are you sure you don't go to my ortho office? My ortho zips in and out and I am left with questions (this has been the case the entire time in braces). That is my only real issue since I do have questions but I guess the thing to do is call. I had better luck asking for a return call. Problem for me is I always have something to ask!

I think it's common since orthos have so many kids as patients and sometimes TREAT adults a bit like kids too :wink:

Ready2go43

Dont take any crap

#6 Post by Ready2go43 »

Hi Cindy,just read your post,you must ask as many questions as you can,like you say you are paying him enough,I do not get braced until august but my orthodontist is so helpful,she has even rang me at home if I have had any queries.I am 43 and got to know lots from asking(although this site is excellent for info)if your ortho cant be bothered with you,that is not a good sign,we are adults for god sake,it is a difficult thing to do at our age any way,nag him for answers,they are your teeth,it is your money,you have a right to detailed info,keep at him,good luck with your treatment,keep posting.
Best wishes David
P.S. if you are not happy with things tell him,I would :wink:

fitchick

#7 Post by fitchick »

Hi Cindy,

You should not feel any additional stress or that you are a trouble maker for asking questions. If anything it shows that you are taking a positive interest in your treatment and the results. My advice would be to ask as many questions as you want. As you say, you are paying them for their time.

I write down all my questions and take my list along to my appointment. My ortho seemed only too pleased to answer them for me. He commented on how good my questions were and even wrote down the answers in case I forgot. I have another list for him this week! It only took a few minutes of his time and helps build a rapport between ortho and patient, which shows that we both have a genuine interest in what's going on.

Maybe on your next appointment you should say that at times you will understandably have questions and that you hope he'll be accommodating with answers for you. Best of luck and don't feel guilty for being persistant!

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attagirl2

#8 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi Painfulvanity. I am one of those people who likes their orthodontist. I will tell you though, the first time I asked questions about why he was doing what he was doing, he took offense - he thought I was questioning his ability- and told me so! I had to sincerely explain to him that I am a person who likes to understand what is going on. "I am an extremely curious person". He realized then, that I was interested in what he was doing and what was happening and not critisizing his abilities. My appointments after that day have been very plesant. He answers my questions - which I try to limit and ask before he gets to working in my mouth. He has his own office, so his time is limited. I have to say, they do a pretty good job of booking. (I do try to go in at off hours, so as not to feel rushed - and it allows for the questions without putting him behind in his work).
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

ohmyjaw

#9 Post by ohmyjaw »

Hi Cindy,
You should stick up for yourself and get your questions answered - you are entitled to it. My orthodontist is always willing to chat, but if I need more than a couple minutes I call ahead and let them know so that they can book the time. I had a discussion at my last appointment about surgical and non-surgical options, and my orthodontist summarized what we discussed and put it in a letter for me - that was so helpful.

I agree that sometimes you have to convince the assistants a bit (or just plain insist). I find it interesting that the assistant said "you're one of the FEW patients here that wants to be informed" So, in other words there are a FEW others; you're not the only one. And I bet there are a few MORE that want to know but are too shy to say anything!

Keep persisting and good luck.

mamabracito

#10 Post by mamabracito »

I have never had this problem yet. And I will say yet with hesatation. I really hope that it doesn't happen to me. Everytime I have a question my ortho is really nice and tells me everything in terms that I will understand. He's a great guy and I'm glad to know that when it's time for my surgery I will be getting it done by his brother who is a doctor in Toronto.

Sorry to hear about your problems and hopefully you will get the answers you need.

Rebecca

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

July 18, 2006 Speed Braces on both Top and Bottoms!
July 30, 2007 BSSO, Le Fort 1, SARPE, and something else Surgery lol!

nvcarissa

#11 Post by nvcarissa »

Like Attagirl2, the first time I asked my ortho questions, he seemed to take offense, so the next time I had questions, I prefaced my remarks with something along the lines of, "For as long as I can remember I have always been a very curious person and like to get as much information as I can about things, especially about stuff that has to do with me. So, when I ask questions, it's not to second guess what you are doing, I just like being on top of my treatment."

Since then, he's actually been pretty open with actually explaining what he's doing, or if he forgets to tell me why he is doing something, he has no problem clarifying things for me when I ask. In a way, because he is a doctor and had to go through an enormous amount of training to do what he does, I think he actually appreciates my curiosity, once he knew where I was coming from.

As for the response you got about being some of the few that have questions, my answer would have been something like, "Well, good, since there aren't that many of us, it can't take that much time for the doctor to answer our questions." (But then again, I can sometimes be a bit of a smart a** when pushed)

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Chris

#12 Post by Chris »

As for the response you got about being some of the few that have questions, my answer would have been something like, "Well, good, since there aren't that many of us, it can't take that much time for the doctor to answer our questions." )
I absolutely love that one...why didn't I think of that? :P
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

ssfw

#13 Post by ssfw »

I'm also one of the lucky ones that has a great orthodontist and staff. My orthodontist is always more than happy to answer my questions and explain things to me. I think this is what has made going through ortho treatment a great learning experience for me. I'm one of those people that want to know what to expect and what my options are, if there are any. My ortho has never expressed me taking too much of his time. His staff are just as kind and helpful.

I think you need to be upfront with your ortho and inform him/her that you are entitled to answers to your questions and in regards to them overbooking, that's not your problem or concern. I feel sometimes a person needs to have a "talk" with their medical provider and not feel intimidated by the doctor or his staff. You are paying alot of money for a service and answering your questions comes with the fee. I know there are some people that don't want to know anything but the ortho has an obligation to the patient to answer their questions.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

ingyandbert

#14 Post by ingyandbert »

That is a very common complaint -- that the ortho rushes from patient to patient and is not very communicative.

I basically warned my ortho up front that I am the type of patient who wants to discuss the details of my treatment and will be asking a lot of questions. Once he understood that, he became a lot more informative. I suggest you have a talk with your ortho to let him know you expect better communication than you've been getting. And I don't think you should have to inconvenience yourself by scheduling a separate appointment just to ask a few short questions. Just let him know at the outset of the next appointment. And don't leave any appointment without an explanation of what's going to happen at your next visit. You're paying for his services and have every right to be involved in your treatment.

hannah164

#15 Post by hannah164 »

I totally understand what you are going through! I am a teenager and so my ortho doesn't think I have any questions. HE is always very overbooked and just looks at my teeth and doesn't usually talk to me at all! :roll: LAst adjustment I was scheduled for a bonding appointment so I had to have it earlier in the day. He ended up only changing ligs and adding a huge powerchain on the upper arch. I finally got my courage up and went back asked him why and he explained how "BIlly" my impacted bicuspid hadn't come down enough for him to be able to bond a bracket! :roll:

I would suggest you talk to your ortho at the appointment and ask HIM if you could schedule a few minutes for him to answer some of your questions. I mean it is your treatment and smile so you deserve some answers!

~hAnnah

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next adjustment: bonding a loose lower band