pain :(

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

starbaby71

pain :(

#1 Post by starbaby71 »

Not sure if this is normal or not so I thought I would ask.. I only got my braces about a week ago. I have ceramics on top but I have to wait until August to get my lowers. I do have the metal bands on my lowers though and the wire on the back of my teeth is REALLY digging into my gums. There's this one spot that feels like it's dying :shock: Will my gums change shape to accommodate the pressure or should I be worried? Also, the band that goes around the very last tooth is poking me. I've tried wax but it seems to irritate that spot even more. I'm starting to think it's infected because it's pretty sore and last time I had an infection (with my wisdom teeth) it had the same taste.. should I talk to my ortho or do you think salt water rinses would help? Anybody else had this kind of problem?

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

Things do get better with time once your mouth adjusts to all this new apparel in your mouth...but you can still call your ortho and ask if something can be done...

The wires were poking me so bad that I was bleeding very often. I also got a little hole on the inside of my cheek because of the constant rubbing of the wire onto my cheek...my ortho even gave me a little lecture on how its important to come in just to get the ends clipped so that I wouldn't be in so much pain and discomfort. So definitely let your ortho know about this...I'm sure he/she will be more than happy to help in any way they can.

Good luck!

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

starbaby71

#3 Post by starbaby71 »

Thanks guys, that's probably what I'll do. I just feel bad for bugging him because I had to go in yesterday since one of my ligatures came off and the wire wasn't sitting in the bracket anymore. The part at the back that hurts is more so because that little thing that looks like a box sticks out the side of the molar band and is constantly irritating it. I think I'll try salt water rinses a lot and put some wax on it like you suggested. I got this new silicone wax yesterday that doesn't hurt to put on like the hard stuff. As for my molar band that's digging into the gums right behind my teeth.. that doesn't seem too healthy. Maybe it will change the shape of my gums to adjust but at the same time, I'm worried it will cause problems and I'll have to get something done to fix it. I think I'll give him call and ask.. Thanks for your advice!! It's very appreciated :D