What mouthwash should I be using?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

skittley80

What mouthwash should I be using?

#1 Post by skittley80 »

Hey all, I have read that I need to be using a flouride mouthwash...is that by prescription only? I have been using just plain listerine, but I was reading over the phamplets my ortho gave me yesterday and it says to use one with flouride? Does anyone know a good one to use?

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

Listerine has a mouthwash with Flouride in it...that's the one I use and I love it :) It burns a bit but I figure that it does its job.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

skittley80

#3 Post by skittley80 »

Ok, thanks... I will check out Wal-mart tonight :)

gunter8888

#4 Post by gunter8888 »

I love the Crest mouthwash. Great flavor, kills bacteria and it does NOT have alcohol which my dentist says can be hard on gums.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

skittley80

#5 Post by skittley80 »

Well I couldn't find the Listerine or the Colgate that contains flouride..so I got ACT that has flouride in it.. So I figure I'll use the ACT in the morning and Listerine at night

erica

#6 Post by erica »

I used Colgate's Phos-Flur nightly the entire time I was in braces. It was definitely on the expensive side (about $10 for a bottle containing just under 500 mL at my local Wal-Mart), but I found that I didn't need the recommended 10 mL rinse. Using about 5-7 mL instead was more than enough and made the container last a lot longer! My braces just came off, and I was cavity free as of a cleaning last week...of course, I have no idea if Phos-Flur had anything to do with that!
Braced 10/13/04
Debanded on 07/11/06!!! :)
Currently in upper and lower Essix retainers 24/7.

ShinySmile

#7 Post by ShinySmile »

I use ACT with flouride in the morning, and Listerine at night. My hygenist suggested Listerine for the gums, and ACT for the teeth...and my dentist agreed, so far it has worked out well.

6/27/2006-- RPE cemented

Leslie022

#8 Post by Leslie022 »

I use Colgate Phos-Flur. I don't think Listerine with Fluoride is available in the US.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Dramagyrl

#9 Post by Dramagyrl »

What's this ACT some people mentioned?
I've heard of the other ones, but not that. Maybe a bottle description or something like that would help, or who is it produced by?
I use the green Listerine with floride, so I wonder if that is enough.
Does anyone have a toothpaste they recommend? I'm currently using Colgate Total as I switched from anything whitening before the braces.

Kittysopretty

#10 Post by Kittysopretty »

I use PLAX pre-wash and Listerine Whitening Pre-wash with peroxide (not at the same time, I alternate)

For an after wash I use the new ACT Restoring. It claims to restore lost minerals and it has the same amt of fluoride as other rinses.

I also use a fluoride paste from the dentist.

Kittysopretty

#11 Post by Kittysopretty »

Sorry, not a fluoride PASTE, a fluoride GEL that you leave on

Toretto

#12 Post by Toretto »

I used colgate stuff at first, then I got listerine coolmint without flouride :(
Listerine feels as if it burns my mouth, but yeh guess it works then :P