all ceramic vs combo deal

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dimeech

all ceramic vs combo deal

#1 Post by dimeech »

I'm 31 and not braced yet (still in consult stage), and I will need to decide what type of braces I want. I am on the fence- one day I feel I'm brave enough to go Full Metal, and other days I think ceramic would look a little more pleasing... and then there are days when I think of what the last ortho said "most of my adult patients go with ceramic tops and metal bottoms". But personally I find myself staring at people who have the combo because it's like I KNOW you have braces- I can SEE them, so why would you bother not having them "match", if possible?? I guess the main "con" of ceramics for me is the significantly larger size as I have a small mouth (but it's loud, haha!).
(Yes, I know some orthos may not do ceramic bottoms.)

Overall, my teeth are not horribly misaligned, and I'm kind of excited to be getting braces. I know some people get a bit depressed about it, but not me!

My main issue is a top baby canine that never fell out (now has a cavity and must be extracted). It's left the inevitable adult snaggletooth behind it which now I have to fix. Right now, no-one knows it's there except for me & the docs... I know I'll be more self-conscious about that one tooth than having braces everywhere for at least 2 years!

Hmm- anyone else been here, too? I can use some friendly advice!

Jillianleab

#2 Post by Jillianleab »

My ortho gave me the choice, but strongly suggested I go all metal because of what he wanted to accomplish. As first I was upset because I REALLY wanted ceramics, but I also want good results and shorter treatment (those were the reasons he gave me for going with metal). If for your treatment it really doesn't matter, then stick with your gut. I honestly don't mind the metal as much as I thought I would... then again, I don't have anything to compare it to! Good luck with your decision!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

hippyhippo

Re: all ceramic vs combo deal

#3 Post by hippyhippo »

Hmm- anyone else been here, too? I can use some friendly advice!
When I get braced I'm going all metal. I like how ceramics are discrete, however I didn't want the added hassle of having to avoid foods that stain the clear ligs. Some people go with coloured ligs to avoid this issue, but I personally don't like the look at all. What sealed th deal was that my ortho strongly recommends Damons, so that's what I'll be getting.

tin_grin

#4 Post by tin_grin »

I just got mine yesterday; the top fronts (10 brackets) and the bottom fronts (six) are ceramic- the rest are metal. Good luck with your decision!

Anne

Braces on: 7/19/06
Tx time: 18-24 months

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

I have 8 ceramics on the bottom (front teeth and first molar on each side) and the rest on the bottom are metal. I went lingual on top because I wanted to be as invisible as possible.

The ceramics are virtually the same size as the metals and are no more or less comfortable.

I did take longer to adjust to braces on my lower teeth, however.

I think most of us tend to show more upper than lower teeth, hence the preference for ceramics on top and metals on the bottom. A friend of mine has this combo and I only picked up that she had braces when I saw a glint of metal on her lower teeth. The ceramics are not visible unless at close range.

Dramagyrl

Combo

#6 Post by Dramagyrl »

I'm a combo girl myself. I didn't really know what to expect before I got them on, so it was a bit of a shock to see how mismatched they ended up looking.
I do however think it was the better decision because the ceramics rubbed less and people really haven't noticed them (I work in a really public job, so that was a huge concern for me at first). They did feel a tiny bit bigger at first, but like I said, less friction and really, they don't look that much bigger.
It's also kind of nice to have the variety. Right now I have clear elastics on top, but I think I may try out some colours down the road. Staining hasn't been a problem for me, only discolouring that easily brushes away.

A lot of it depends on how you smile. Fortunately, my top lip really stays over the ceramics for the most part, so people don't seem them. The odd person has caught a glimpse of the ones on the bottom (which are small so they think they're cute if anything) but that's how my jaw is shaped. People think I only have them on the bottom and not the top, and that was kind of how I wanted it.

phanta

#7 Post by phanta »

I have ceramics on both top and bottom, and have not regretted this - not once. Very happy I got them, instead of full or even partial metal. Reaction from my business partners and friends has been very mild. Everyone so far says my braces are barely noticeable and not at all distracting for them.

I notice sometimes people in the street will stare at my mouth though. They're probably thinking something's off, but can't figure out what it is :) At least not from a few meters away.

My Braces Story at www.bracedblog.com

Kriz

#8 Post by Kriz »

Im a combo.. ceramics on top and metal on the bottoms. I have royal purple ligs on the bottoms, but stayed clear on the tops. I usually dont eat much curry and i dont like mustard much so I dint have a problem with staining.

Kriz

jetxness

#9 Post by jetxness »

i have a combo as well but not top clear and bottom metal

for me, both on the top and on the bottom, the 6 front-most* teeth are clear (inspire ice ...so sapphire) and the rest towards the back and sides are metal.

i think this would look pretty good from a distance if i didn't have blue ligs :D

* what i mean by front-most is that my 2 front teeth, then the ones outside of those 2, then the ones outside of those 2 are clear.

ladygal

my choice

#10 Post by ladygal »

Dimeech: Whatever you choose, let it be what YOU want. You have to live with it, so my best suggestion is choosing what you like.

My choice? I have all ceramic with clear ligs. I chose them because I am conscientous about my smile, and they are less noticeable. Yes the clear ligs do stain, but I chew the staining foods(barbecue sauce, mustard, cheesey chips, tomato products) on my molars and the stains don't show (good brushing can help the staining somewhat).

So I may be one of the few who has all ceramic...but I'm pleased with it. I can smile fully without showing any metal.

Good luck with your decision; remember do what you want :)

ssfw

#11 Post by ssfw »

Hi dimeech,

Congratulations on beginning your orthodontic treatment.

I had a difficult time making the decision of metal vs. ceramic braces. My orthodontist said in my case (crossbite and overjet) either type of brackets would be fine. First, ask your orthodontist if you do have an option. My ortho said I could make the decision on the day I got my braces. I am a bit self-conscious about wearing braces and was contemplating which to use. The metal brackets were small so I had decided to get the metal brackets to try to overcome feeling
self-conscious about the braces. When I went in to get my braces placed, I asked the assistant if I could see the metal and ceramic brackets and at the last moment, I decided to get the ceramic brackets because I knew I was a bit self-conscious about wearing braces but I do think the metal brackets are very nice in size and looks nice. My ortho said the ceramic brackets may add a few months to the treatment time. I felt that if I wasn't as self conscious about the braces it would be more enjoyable and I was right. I truly think both metal and ceramic brackets look nice. The ceramic brackets are not that much larger.

I will be getting my lower braces at my next appt. and if I have an option, I will get the ceramic brackets, if not, I'm fine with the metal brackets.

I suggest you go with what you want. Believe me, I adjusted to my braces soon after I got them placed. You will also find that people will notice and ask about your braces but it's not a big deal. To date, after 2 months of having braces only 3 people have brought it up and I'm not sure why only 3 people, is it because they don't notice or because they hesitate to bring up the subject. All I know is I am so happy that I decided to proceed with ortho treatment and never regretted this decision.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Idislikebraces

#12 Post by Idislikebraces »

I have ceramics on top nd metal on bottom...she said metal on bottom bc i have an overbite nd i might have actually Bitten off the ceramics..lol
But I like them they way they are...I wouldve wanted cer. on top nd metal on bottom...
Oh nd just so u kno..just bc u get all metal doesnt mean that it will shorten ur treatment..it all depends on the ortho..
Good Luck!
:)
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!

dimeech

thanks

#13 Post by dimeech »

Thanks everyone! I eat mustard (well, not all by itself!) and tomato-saucy things, but it's nice to know it may be more manageable to chew on the back teeth mostly and hopefully avoid some staining!

I will keep you posted w/pics when I get them on!

missing_tooth

#14 Post by missing_tooth »

All metal and love it.

- Missing Tooth -

nvcarissa

#15 Post by nvcarissa »

Started out with ceramics on my top 6 social. At three months I was still not used to the larger size of them and how much more abrasive they felt in my mouth compared to the smaller metal brackets on the rest of my teeth. So, I switched to all metal and have had no regrets. Ceramic isn't visible from a distance, but is up close, so my final decision to change to metal was strictly based on my personal comfort.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.