molars - not bracketed yet

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ssfw

molars - not bracketed yet

#1 Post by ssfw »

The end molars on the upper arch have not been bracketed and was wondering if this was common. Do you know if the end molars are eventually bracketed and why they may have decided not to place brackets on them when I got my upper braces placed about 2 months ago. I forgot to ask my orthodontist about it the other day during my first adjustment but will ask him about it at my next appt. I think I was a bit overwhelmed getting a powerchain on my upper arch, and was told he would move my Quad-Helix expander and will place my lower braces at my next appt. It was a great first adjustment appt.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

nvcarissa

#2 Post by nvcarissa »

My back molars were not bracketed for about the first three months...which really made eating a lot easier since those teeth were pain free. Then I got bracketed and had to deal all over again with sore cheeks and wax!

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

But here's my speculation: I'd imagine that the molars, with four parts to the root might perhaps be harder to move than the bicuspids and these in turn perhaps harder than the incisors. .
I have ONE second molar bracketed because there is NO tooth in front of it, so he had to use it for anchorage, and that tooth tipped forward and inward in the process. Even with the bends in the wire, its still not uprighting. So far, I've been told that the tipping is relatively minor and it will be crowned afterwards anyway. BUT I see your point that the molar can be difficult to move....mine is not cooperating in the archwire. :roll:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

nvcarissa

#4 Post by nvcarissa »

I never had spacers.</gloat>

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

ingyandbert

#5 Post by ingyandbert »

My end molars were not bracked until several months into my treatment. All I can say is enjoy it while you can. Brushing, flossing, eating are all easier without the molar brackets. Plus, those particular brackets chewed up my mouth something awful for the first few weeks. I had a hard time getting wax to stick because that area of my mouth is more moist than the rest. I never knew how easy I had it until those brackets went on.

ucldbmine

#6 Post by ucldbmine »

I have damon's on and asked Dr. Damon about this last week when I went in for mouth guard.. I have brackets on my bottom 2 back molars but no wire through it. He said they do this with the light wire because it is too light and pops out a lot and they'll put the wire though my next appointment when it gets thicker.

don't know if that's why they do it for everyone though...

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

I had all my upper teeth (bar a wisdom tooth) bracketed since day one.

When my lower teeth were bracketed, the second of the second molars were free. They were bracketed at the next appointment.

I agree with KK - trying to floss back there is somewhat more difficult.

ssfw

#8 Post by ssfw »

Thanks for the posts.

I thinks it's so great to be able to ask a question on this website when your next orthodontist appt. is a few weeks away. If it was urgent, of course I would have called my ortho's office, but for questions such as this one, it's nice to be able to get some feedback before my next appt.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08