How will my canine be lowered??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mogwai

How will my canine be lowered??

#1 Post by mogwai »

Hi - I have a canine thats placed slightly above my other teeth. It has to be lowered into place - how is this achieved with braces? I can see teeth being rotated, pushed or pulled into place, but how can they be lowered??

Will I need... :shock: ...elastics???

jaswi

#2 Post by jaswi »

my ortho is gonna use triangle shaped elastic configurations.

Caroline

#3 Post by Caroline »

I imagine it could be done with elastics. In my case, my ortho "stepped down" the archwire by putting bends in it. In other words, instead of your archwire looking like this ------------------, it would end up looking like this ----------\__/----------
Ceramics
Top braced January 7, 2005
Bottom braced February 4, 2005
Tops off July 10, 2006!!!
Bottoms off August 15, 2006!!!

fins

#4 Post by fins »

I'm moving the canines with step down wires and the triangle elastics (heavy, heavy, heavy). :shock:

alexa

#5 Post by alexa »

I had two "fangs" (canines) in their own row above my other teeth. They were brought down by keeping me in the thin (very malleable) wires for a couple of months and assigning me triangle pattern elastics (the top of the triangle was on my upper canine, then the lower points were my lower canine and a molar) on each side.

It worked very quickly, and the results pleasing.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

Way Too Old For This

#6 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Once Ruth (my impacted canine) was pulled sideways across my palate and got close enough they attached her bracket to the archwire, and every few weeks they moved the bracket higher on the tooth. The wire would be bent about 45 degrees when they attached it and after about 2 weeks it would be straight. Then they would move the bracket up and do it again. They moved the bracket about 3 times.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

mogwai

#7 Post by mogwai »

Fantastic - as long as theres another option to the dreaded elastics!!!

Thanks all!!

Katiari

#8 Post by Katiari »

I have a really wonky tooth in the way back upper left and it kinda looks like:

^^^^^^^^^
_|__|__|---|__|

(I'm an arteest!)

Anyways, they put a "lingual button" on the back side of the tooth in front of it and had banded the wonky tooth and used a powerchain to pull it down some. She says next time that they will try to include it on the archwire.

There might be half a dozen ways to do it, I don't know, but I am sure your Ortho has a plan!