Can you bite?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bridget

Can you bite?

#1 Post by Bridget »

Hi there!

As you might know, I have my braces on for about 2 weeks now. So far, everything is fine -no real pain, my teeth just feel a little tight.

Although I realized that eating gets easier (chewing at the back of the mouth, as suggested by Karen - thanks for that!!! great hint) biting something off is still not possible as my front teeth feel quite funny....Consequently I do not bite into anything, not even into soft bread.

Is this just normal or is is just because my front teeth get most of the pressure right now (as they are my real problems?)

Just wondering how it is with you!

Thanks a lot for your comments1

Bridget

Upper and lower ceramics
9 months to go......less if I am REALLY lucky

Bridget

#2 Post by Bridget »

Hi Karen!

Thanks for your quick feedback - actually that is a great relief, I thought I was just too scared than I should!

Chewing at the back is really great - especially as you can avoid to have food stuck inbetween the front brackets in doing so :-)

THANKS a lot - this forum is really really great! :jump:

Upper and lower ceramics
9 months to go......less if I am REALLY lucky

Kell

#3 Post by Kell »

I don't bite into anything either. I either cut it or rip it depending on what I'm eating and put it in the back of my mouth. It's worked fine so far.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

mindwaves

#4 Post by mindwaves »

Same here. I don't bite using my front teeth at all. I chop everything into small pieces as much as possible. It is because I have the same issue as you; my front teeth hurt the most first of all and secondly, because my orthdontist said not to use my front teeth.

mindwaves

#5 Post by mindwaves »

Same here. I don't bite using my front teeth at all. I chop everything into small pieces as much as possible. It is because I have the same issue as you; my front teeth hurt the most first of all and secondly, because my orthdontist said not to use my front teeth.

jcdamon3

#6 Post by jcdamon3 »

I have been able to bite into things off and on during treatment. It just depends on what is going on. I have been able to bite into hamburgers even!

When I got my power chains that curtailed that activity for awhile.

You will find that things will stabilize during your braces treatment and then unstabilize again. Right now I wouldn't try eating a hamburger because I have new powerchains on again. I am amazed though how this time around for the powerchains the discomfort is lasting a shorting amount of time.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Jillianleab

#7 Post by Jillianleab »

It took me about 6 weeks before I could bite into anything more than a PB&J on Wonderbread, lol! After that I was able to bite into burgers, but I never pushed it going after a big sub or anything. I just had an adjustment and can't bite into things again, but I'm holding out hope that in a week or so I'll be back to normal.

Hang in there, it takes a while to get used to the things you can/can't do, but you'll figure it out!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

not2worry39212

#8 Post by not2worry39212 »

I've had the top teeth banded for a little over 2 months now. I just got to the point where I can bite with my front teeth, but it's a weird sensation ( :x ) so I just stick to biting from the sides or tearing stuff up!

Sagii

#9 Post by Sagii »

I thought it was just me.....I currently have only my top braces, but I still don't feel comfortable biting into anything with my front teeth. Like everyone else who's mentioned, I simply pull my food apart or cut it up (even my sandwiches). People have told me that I'm just being overly cautious, but for some reason I just don't feel comfortable biting into anything. I'm glad I'm not the only one....:lol:

-------------------
Top Metal Braces April 28, 2006
Bottom Metal Braces Coming August 3, 2006

LP

#10 Post by LP »

I'm joining the 'can't bite club'. 8)

I'm having trouble chewing even since I got the powerchains, but I can't bite anything, no matter how soft, with my front teeth. I wouldn't mind a weird sensation, but it HURTS to bite.

I was doing really well...able to chew almost anything a week after I got my braces, but two weeks into treatment I got powerchains and I'm back to square one, but worse.

Oh well. It just sucks during summer. I watch every one BBQing steak and burgers and having corn on the cob. It'll just be that much sweeter when I CAN have that food again.

K - I think I just drooled into my keyboard LOL :P

rmwolf83

#11 Post by rmwolf83 »

I've had my braces on since Tuesday, and I can't chew anything, not even on my molars. The only thing I can eat is soft stuff that I can kind of mush around in my mouth and half chew. How long did it take everyone until they could actually eat? This really stinks!

Debanding: 12/18/07!!! Yay!!!!!

Front Teeth Bracketed 7/25/2006
Back Teeth Banded 7/18/2006
Inspire Ice Uppers/front 8 w/ metal lowers
Treatment time: 19 - 26 mos.

phanta

#12 Post by phanta »

RMwolf,
it took about a week for my molars to get used to the new "arrangement" and for the pain in the back to subside.

Archwired has a great section with soft food suggestions:
http://www.archwired.com/soft_foods.htm

My only problem with it all is that most of the soft foods are muffins, puddings, sweet shakes. I've been really missing eating fruits and veggies.

After my 3rd adjustment my back teeth are still very achy, and I didn't want to live on milkshakes and pudding. I now eat a lot of seasonal ripe fruit (we've got soft plums and peaches), bananas are easy to eat. And my husband came up with an idea to blend all the veggies I normally eat in a salad. He blends it with a hand blender into a sort of paste or dip (white cabbage, kale, green leafy salad, carrots, dill, parsley etc.) It's really easy to eat and it's really good-for-you food.

Canned salmon is great, too, it's very soft and full of good fats and protein.

My Braces Story at www.bracedblog.com

LP

#13 Post by LP »

OMG I miss fruits and veggies too. I have put on 5 pounds since getting braced. It seems most of the soft foods are high fat :(

I think I'll have a look at that list and see what else I can find.

jennandtonic

#14 Post by jennandtonic »

I can bite with my front teeth now, but at first I couldn't because my front teeth were being corrected and when I bit it was painful. Even trying to clamp my teeth together was uncomfortable! Whew, I'm glad most of that is over....

juf_84

#15 Post by juf_84 »

Hey LP!

I lived off mashed potato and soft veggies for the first few days- steamed veggies are soft enough to cut up into tiny pieces and eat, and you can always try some mashed pumpkin, or mashed pumpkin mixed with mashed potato.

The only veggies I had trouble with were beans- and Mum just kept buying them and serving them up :x
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!