question about arch

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

starbaby71

question about arch

#1 Post by starbaby71 »

I was just wondering how an arch can be made wider? My ortho told me I have a narrow arch and he plans on making it wider. He mentioned bringing my teeth forward which would explain how it will get wider in the front but what about my molars? Would he have to use an expander? I'm not quite sure what those are for..

ghotieyes

#2 Post by ghotieyes »

I have narrow arches too, along with a ton of other problems. I had 2 options. Option 1 was get ceramic braces and expanders and go for 2.5-3 years. Option 2 was metal braces and no expanders and 2-2.5 years. I went with Option 1 b/c I wanted the ceramics. I have the DMAX-2000 expander and it's this spring & rod contraption with molar bands for my 4 & 6 teeth and it pushes my teeth outwards to widen the arch and make more room for my crowded teeth.

mindwaves

#3 Post by mindwaves »

I have been curious of the same thing. I have Damon braces and a narrow arch and I have always wondered how the Damons say that they can expand the arch without using palatal expanders. What makes them so different from other braces? All braces have archwires which have memory so I would assume that they could also expand the arch, but apparently now. Any input would be helpful.

mindwaves

#4 Post by mindwaves »

Yeah, I guess most of it is advertising hype, but they do still need to have some data to back it up and I would be most curious if anyone could dig up some information. It would be most informative. Thanks.

ghotieyes

#5 Post by ghotieyes »

My ortho didn't go into detail during my consultation about how the metal brackets can work w/o the expanders. When I got my expanders put in, he says to give it a while to get used to it, and if really can't stand it, he has an alternative, which is a half metal/half ceramic bracket system. And by that, I don't mean mixed ceramics with metals; each individual bracket was literally split between the two types on the top and bottom! He said I won't get as good of a result, but if I couldn't live with the expander, then that would be another way to go.

JoeMama

#6 Post by JoeMama »

Hi mindwaves - there's some info on the Dr. portion of the Damon website. Keep in mind that it's there own product they're writing about, so it's probably a little one sided.

http://www.ormco.com/damon/theSystem/index.cfm

I have Damon braces and they've done a tremendous job widening my arch. I'm not saying they're the only way or best way, but so far, with the skill of my ortho, their claims have held true. :D :D
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

jbjalways

#7 Post by jbjalways »

Meryaten wrote:Image
The front of my arch has widened and rounded out very nicely. On the other hand, I don't know how much widening archwires and brackets alone can affect at the very back. I suspect that is where expanders must be brought to bear to make much gain.
Your arch looks great, did you have the expander? Mine is very very narrow, I think more so than your beginning. Hoping mine widens up a bit even though I am going the Damon route.

7/7/06 Damon 3's on top, Damon 2's on bottom
03/18/08 Naked

Lisa65

#8 Post by Lisa65 »

My top arch is narrow like yours was too, Meryaten. And I was wondering how it would be improved without surgery or an expander. So having seen your pic I'm hopeful that mine will look like that too eventually.

ingyandbert

#9 Post by ingyandbert »

My progress is very similar to Meraytan's. I have Damon braces and my arches have widened dramatically with no extractions and no expander. I'm thrilled!

grinning

#10 Post by grinning »

I also have a narrow arch, and it is questionable as to whether or not my relatively straight top teeth can be expanded enough to fit in my bottom crowded ones (without a lower extraction). So I have had uppers only for the past two months to see how much expansion can be achieved. The difference between the upper and lower arch now is amazing! The upper is quite a bit wider - enough so that the teeth don't fit together at all now! Annoying yes, but at least they won't be pulling any teeth without knowing for sure that they need to!

When the ortho and I were discussing which system to use he showed me the difference between a damon archwire and an archwire used in other systems. The damon was significantly wider, in a very dramatic U shape compared to the others. The idea of corse being that it can then widen an arch more successfully. Some ortho's really like it, and others go a different way - it's all which system they know and are best at I guess.

grinning

#11 Post by grinning »

I'm sorry, I was misunderstood. I actually don't have damons, so I know that other systems work wonderfully too! And I didn't realize that orthos use archwires interchangably, so I guess what I was told about the archwires means not a whole lot... :oops: I was only trying to comment on why the damons say they work so much better.