Anyone ever changed Ortho's because unhappy with treatment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Painfulvanity

Anyone ever changed Ortho's because unhappy with treatment?

#1 Post by Painfulvanity »

I am seriously considering changing Orthos because I am not happy with the treatment/progress and their lack of concern about my concerns. After my second wire was put on, my bottom teeth began flaring out almost beyond my front teeth. I asked to see Ortho before my next visit but she was on vacation and so I had to wait, because I was really stressed at how I looked and how much my teeth had shifted. Of course as usual I wasn't able to see her before the new wire was put on (the tech basically refused) The tech decided on her own what wire I needed and put it on. I told her of my concern with my bottom teeth shifting out and she said "oh, your teeth will do lots of funny things."

After pushing the issue I finally saw Ortho, who knew I wanted to discuss my concerns before anyone did any work, and she said I must be pushing my teeth out with my tongue. I told her I wasn't aware of that but she said I had to be and 'try not to do that anymore." I asked her if she could do something to bring them back in and she said no. I was so distraught when I left because I thought they would do something to correct it.

I am not pushing on my teeth during the day but I don't know if I am doing it at night. I left the appt feeling so discouraged and upset.
They always seem irritated if I ask questions and I don't think I would even see Ortho at visits unless I ask to and then the techs seem agitated that I would make such a request. The last tech decided herself which wire was needed and even tho I asked beforehand to see Dr before the visit, she refused.

I can't stand to look in the mirror anymore and am getting very depressed over the way my teeth look. WHY didn't anyone tell me that this could happen and then I would have been aware of my tongue when my teeth started shifting out? They give me NO information and never have. I have to figure it all out on my own.

So, I am going to call some Ortho's tomorrow and see if I can get in for a second opinion. The paper I signed at current Dr's office didn't mention what would happen if treatment was terminated but I am not getting any comfort or relief from them and want to go somewhere where I feel they care about how I feel and what is going on with my treatment.

If anyone has switched Dr's I would like to hear of your experience.

Cindy

Xero

#2 Post by Xero »

I think you should change orthos. I've changed orthos two times. The first time was because the doctor was whack. If you want to change, change! Any ortho who doesn't address your concerns and doesn't explain everything is not good. Don't hesitate either! You don't want your teeth to be changed for the worse.

Good luck!
About three years since being braced. Changed ortho twice, so it's hard to keep track.

A very special thanks to KK & linda21 for constantly reading my log. Thanks!

Katiari

#3 Post by Katiari »

Where are you at? One of us may be able to recommend a fantastic ortho for you!

Xero

#4 Post by Xero »

Use this link to find a certified orthodontist:

http://braces.org/locatoragreement.cfm

That way, you're sure to get a great ortho!
About three years since being braced. Changed ortho twice, so it's hard to keep track.

A very special thanks to KK & linda21 for constantly reading my log. Thanks!

Flora2006

#5 Post by Flora2006 »

If I were you, I would change orthos. I don't think I would even bother trying to speak up with the ortho about the situation since you have requested to speak about your treatment and the help wasn't there.

You are paying so much money for the ortho (not a tech, assistant, etc) to make the decisions about what things to put in your mouth in order to move your teeth in the right direction...so for a tech to decide which kind of wire is best...isn't very acceptable in my opinion.

Your ortho shouldn't question you when you tell her that you aren't the one moving your bottom teeth forward...she should trust you and help you with such a problem...not tell you to try and not push on your teeth...

It really sucks that you have found such an ortho...you deserve such better care and help...good luck with everything and try and look around...you will find an amazing ortho who will be kind and ready to help and answer all your questions.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Gennel

#6 Post by Gennel »

I have heard of rude orthos or assistants. I have never heard of an ortho NOT checking in on you to see how your teeth are progressing and tell the tech/assistant what should be done in this adjustment.Assistants are NOT trained the same way orthodontists are.Her refusing to get the orthodontist for you ,is crazy!! Have you paid for your entire bill or are you on monthly payments?

I would go to at least 2 other orthos to get consults and explain your situation. Ask them if they are present during adjustments,if they personally check your progress at every appt.
Then I would speak with your current orthodontist and let him/her know that you expected the ortho to check your progress and tell the tech what to do. I have NEVER heard of an ortho not being there when you get your adjustments! Not even to take a peek? My ortho is there and he checks my bite and checks the progress and he either does the adjustment himself or he tells his assistant exactly what he wants done and how.Then he checks me again and I go home.
I am so sorry you are going through this and I don't blame you one bit for feeling this way. It is true that teeth will often look worse before the final outcome. But I can't believe that the ortho said that they could not do anything about your bottom teeth flaring out like that. Please keep us updated .

Gennel

Joanna20

#7 Post by Joanna20 »

Hi, I think you should def. change orthos. And please feel a complaint in their black book (or complaints book or whatever).
Teeth don't flare out like that only with your tongue pushing them, what's probably happening is u don't have enough space on your mouth and so they flare out in order for the teeth to feet together.
I think that's probably it.
Good luck with finding the right ortho!
Joe

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Chris

#8 Post by Chris »

My husband changed orthos when things were going bad because his daughter who worked with the ortho messed things up while he was on vacation. He sought another opinion, liked the ortho, had the new ortho CALL the OLD ortho and made arrangements to complete the treatment. My husband was very happy he did.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

jcdamon3

#9 Post by jcdamon3 »

Chris: Okay that must have been awkward!

I don't think you should make the decision to change orthos. I think what you should do is start talking to other orthos and see what is out there. Start the process but don't make the decision until that is what you are sure you want to do. There is nothing wrong with doing some research and getting more info.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

nicholeuf

#10 Post by nicholeuf »

I feel so bad that you have had to go through this! This is definitely not the way a patient should be treated. I think it is a good idea to get other ortho opinions, but even if they do agree with the treatment progress, I think you should still change orthos. Just like Gennel's ortho, my ortho always sees me and directs the techs on what should be done. If he is on vacation or unavailable, the office is closed. If I have a question that I direct in person or over the phone, the assistants tell him and he addresses it. I think that everyone should get this kind of treatment. You are paying too much to be treated so unprofessionally.

If you are near the Tampa, FL area, I can give you my ortho's information.

Chris

#11 Post by Chris »

Chris: Okay that must have been awkward!
Actually the OLD ortho was quite embarassed by what his daughter did in his absence so he was quite agreeable and apologetic. The NEW ortho got the treatment done sooner. There was some financial agreement between the two because my husband did not have to pay the NEW ortho anything! He was in retainers within a matter of months.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

chicago

Change your Ortho

#12 Post by chicago »

Yes, there are poor Drs. out there, quit and be happy you did early!
Ask your friends, your regular dentist for references. Go have consulations with your braces on. Bring in your initial models and show the dentist, then ask many questions.
I wish I was smarter the first time.
DOn't blame yourself, you didn't know. I just posted my sob story tonight.
I'm now 53, started braces at 51, and already on braces #2, but HAPPY with the developing changes. So dont' look back, make the change NOW..but get references and tell the ortho what would make YOU happy and can they give the results you are expecting... GOOD luck!!